Chapter Thirty Seven

Harriet bit her lip as she tucked CJ into bed. It had been hours, and she hadn't seen hide or hair of her little brother since he ran from the counter at the fish shop that afternoon.

She knew Harry was probably fine, that he was most likely being fussed over by Lady Persephone. Or perhaps he had stopped by the Smees' quaint cottage after ensuring Mal's safety. Mollie Smee, their surrogate mother, was nearing her due date, and Harry was fiercely protective of her well-being. He wouldn't rest until she safely delivered her child into the world, especially now that they had a functioning medical system in place on the Isle.

Of course that also meant the stubborn idiot wouldn't tell anyone where he was going, as it would be a blow to his reputation on the Isle.

A sudden commotion erupted from downstairs, jolting Harriet out of her thoughts. She peered down at CJ, her little sister's eyes wide and curious as she tried to make sense of the chaos. The distant clattering of dishes and muffled voices filled the air, creating a sense of urgency and anticipation. Harriet's heart raced as she wondered what could be causing such a disturbance.

"Stay here," she said. "I'm going to go and check out what's happening down there. No matter what happens, no matter what you hear, do not come out of this room unless I come and get you. Okay? Promise me CJ."

"I promise Harriet," CJ said with a small nod. "But...what about Harry? He's not home yet...what if whoever's downstairs gets him?"

That's what I'm worried about, Harriet thought but gave her sister a small smile. "Hey, Harry's going to be okay. You know he's one of the best fighters on the Isle. And if someone does hurt him, well then they'll answer to me."

"Promise?" CJ asked, her eyes searching Harriet's for any hint of doubt.

"I promise," Harriet said, trying to sound confident even though she was feeling anything but.

CJ gave Harriet a small smile and Harriet gently kissed the top of CJ's head before hurrying out of the room, closing the door behind her.

"What were you thinking?! Abandoning your post, leaving your sister to do your job while you cavorted around the Isle!"

Quickly rushing downstairs, Harriet's eyes widened as she saw her little brother on the floor in front of their father.

"Captain!" Harriet exclaimed, quickly rushing over to put herself in between the two of them. Her hands curled into fists as she heard the small whimper that came from her brother, even though she knew he was fighting to keep it as quiet as possible, and she focussed her attention back on her father. "What the hell are you doing? You should be praising Harry if the scuttlebutt of the Isle holds true! Does the bloody counter at the fish shop mean more than upholding the pirate code?!"

"That's none of your business lass, now get out of the way," Hook growled out. "Do you know how dangerous that was? What if I hurt you?"

"Oh so now you care about hurting your kids? What were you doing to Harry?" Harriet shot back. "He's your son! Why am I suddenly more important? You'll hit him but won't hit me? So now you're a hypocrite in two ways since you've been drilling the Pirate Code into Harry since he was born but when he upholds it you go to kick him?!"

"Harriet...don't..." Harry said, his soft voice breaking Harriet's heart as she heard it. "You're...you're just going to make him madder...what if he hurts you too? The Runt needs you...she doesn't need me..."

"Hush Harry, let him get mad. If I stand by and let him hurt you, then I am not worth being called your sister!" Harriet said, her voice growing gentle as she addressed her brother; all the while not taking her eyes off off their father. "Come on, let's get you up and we'll get whatever marks he has made on you cleaned up."