Chapter Twenty Six

Mutters filled the air at one of the local taverns; the tavern wenches trying to stay clear of any one's grasp or eye sight in case they were asked for their opinion. They weren't paid to talk with the patrons, just keep the drinks flowing.

If they were lucky enough to be paid at all.

"I'm sure you've noticed the construction going on," one of the bar regulars said, downing his drink and holding it out to be refilled.

"You'd have to be blind as Odie not to notice," another regular said. "Though should we be surprised? Now that Queen Beastie's husband and son are here with us, we start getting some attention."

"Hush, you want Facilier to hear you? Never mention a man's mother!"

"Like I'm scared of him! He got defeated by a frog!" The tavern goer shook his head. "But anyway, like I was saying, you'd have to be blind not to notice. And apparently, it's not just a hospital going up."

"Looks like just a hospital to me."

"Yeah well, you're an idiot. From what I heard, it's gonna have a doctor for your eye balls and a baby doctor too."

"...So a hospital."

The tavern goer shook his head and whacked his companion over the head before calling out to one of the tavern wenches. "Henrietia, what do you think about all this?"

"Ah you know me, I'm not paid to think," Henrietia said, shaking her head as she poured another pint of whatever alcohol they could find for the patron; her almost trademark medallion swinging back and forth with every shake of her head. "Mind you, this could be good for the Isle though."

"How so?"

"If we're finally getting attention from the mainland, means we might have more options for you to drink."

"Hey, she's right!" The other patron said causing the first one to whack him over the head again.

Henrietia sighed and went back to wiping down the counter. Or at least she would have if another patron hadn't grabbed her by the arm.

"How's about you and I get out of here and I can increase your tip?"

"I think—."

"Let go of her!" A young boy's voice cried out as a red-haired boy came rushing over, a small sword hanging from his belt. While the taverns weren't the best place on the Isle for kids, some people couldn't help having them around.

The Stabbington brothers' latest flings were two such examples; their sons Switch and Blade were a feature of the taverns though Henrietia noted that they tended to stay away from her son. Speaking of which...

"Henry, go outside. I can handle this," she said, looking over at her son.

"But mama—!"

"Henry, I mean it," Henrietia said, giving her son a look. "Go outside, go see if Derek wants to work your sparring."

Henry made a small face at the thought of possibly having to abandon his mom but nodded. His mama gave an order after all, and you couldn't argue with an order. Well you could but that would be mutiny and Henry didn't want to mutiny against his mama.

Smiling as she watched her son go outside and satisfied that he was out of earshot, Henrietia leaned back and smacked the patron as hard as she could with her free arm.

"What the hell?!" The patron exclaimed but thankfully releasing her arm.

"Don't you ever talk to me like that in front of my son again. Got it?" Henrietia growled. "Don't forget, his father's in Captain Hook's crew so unless you want to find yourself banned from the fish shop, you'll use your other brain to think before you speak."