Chapter Thirty Five

Mal couldn't help but smile slightly as she and Ben made their way to Ursula's restaurant. They were just going to pick up Uma and Harry and then they'd go to the clubhouse where Jay would likely be waiting for them.

It had been an interesting year or so getting used to the new dynamic but Mal was just glad that Harry was okay with it. She knew he could be particularly stubborn if he had to be and if there was anyone on the Isle who hated change more than Harry, Mal had yet to meet them.

But thankfully, other than a bit of tension when they were first starting off, everyone was getting along fine. Jay didn't even complain when he lost in the sparring. And he lost a lot. Like more than Ben, that's how much he lost and Ben was no slouch when it came to a sword but no one was better than Harry.

"Help!"

Mal paused and looked at Ben. "Did you hear something?"

"That sounded like someone calling for help," Ben told her. "We should go check it out."

"What if it's a trap though? People don't admit a weakness on the Isle like they do in Auradon."

Ben shook his head and went off to follow the voice, who had just called for help a second time.

"Honestly..." Mal muttered but followed Ben. She wasn't about to let him get hurt on her watch, thank you!

But no matter how annoyed she was, that all faded as she came across the sight of Henry Kersey dragging his pregnant mother on a mattress; trying with all his might to move it in the direction of the hospital.

"Help! My mom needs help!" Henry called, his voice pleading to any of the adults who were walking past him.

Ben's eyes went wide and he immediately rushed over to help Henry pull the mattress, no questions asked. He could get answers later, someone needed help now. And his papa always told him it was more important for people to get help than getting the answer to your question, especially on the Isle even with all the changes his maman had made.

"Please! Somebody!" Henry begged, not having noticed Ben joining him in pulling the mattress. "My mom needs help! She's having a baby!"

It was Mal's turn to have her eyes go wide and she rushed over to help. She knew that she would have wanted someone to help her if she had been the only one around when Steph had been giving birth to Hadie, so there was no way she was going to let Henry go through that alone.

Even if it did go against everything VKs stood for.

"Where's Derek and Ryan?" Mal asked as she also tugged at the mattress. While she might not have officially been allies with Henry, everyone knew the three tavern kids palled around together. It was rare to see Henry alone.

"Ry...Ryan had something with his sister and papa...and Derek was helping his papa..." Henry said, trying to sound strong while still pulling the mattress.

Right then, Mal nodded inwardly and reached out with her mental link. She wasn't going to have Henry suffer any longer than he needed to. Uma!

Whoa, cuz, what's wrong?

Come outside! Ben and I are by the docks!

Are you okay?

Henry's out here dragging his mom on a mattress, going to the hospital. She's pregnant Uma! And having the baby!

...Harry and I will be out there in two shakes, Uma said. Despite the changes to the Isle, there was always going to be the feeling most of the older VKs felt to protect those younger than them. And it didn't get much younger than a newborn baby.