Chapter 2: Spearhead

Alvin was sitting down underneath the shade drinking water with his left hand, and messaging his wife with his right. Suddenly, he felt a cold splash of liquid trickle down his neck, soaking in his clothes and hair. Turning around, caught Allerton red-handed as he proudly held the bucket.

"Dude what the Hell man!" He laughingly said.

Allerton laughed as he brought a chair next to him, "That's what you get, shouldn't have pushed me into the Neil back at Egypt."

They were in a UK military base in Iran, a few miles from the town weirdly called, Thisisntarealtown. 

American humvees, Abram tanks and British FV32 ACPs arrived in a convoy. Their engines in a dominant hum as the dust settled. Helicopters began to take off one at a time as the soldiers in the base hurried to their pre-planned positions.

Allerton remarked, "Well off we go." 

Alvin got up and started walking to his designated humvee. Allerton manned the 50cal on top. Others join in as well. The driver, Sargent Mcleesh, sarcastically asked, "Y'all ready for some fun lads?"

The two other soldiers came in, Private Johnson and Cardiff. Cardiff responded, "Do we have an option?"

"Nope," Mcleesh began to drive along with the rest of the convoy.

The helicopters sped ahead into the distance as the rows of armoured vehicles lagged behind them. They drove at full speed kicking dirt and dust into the air as the sun glared at them from an open and clear sky.

Mcleesh changed gears as he asked, "So Alvin, this is your last tour eh? Where are you gonna go after you leave?"

He chuckled, "One place and one place only, to my wife on top of that lovely hill around the East."

Allerton laughed, "Oh come on, no way that's true; get serious."

"Well, I am leaving tomorrow."

"Nah Nah, not that. That's believable."

"What is it then?"

"That you have a wife."

The vehicle churned with laughter, Mcleesh ushered the vehicle to be quiet as he turned on the radio. It started playing 'Don't stop me now'.

Johnson chuckled, "Finally, a good song."

"Yep, can't get the job done with some dead song, "Mcleesh agreed"

The drive was somewhat joyful, the thought of diving into battle ceased to exist; but as they approached the town, the air was like the dust on their windshield, stale.

"Wellcome to Thisisntarealtown."

The convoy split up, spreading outwards. Alvin's group headed towards a large slow-moving river near some short trees and shrubs. The group kept their eyes peeled as they saw the town, the apartment blocks dehydrated and droopy, and the houses and shops looked one of the same. 

The air rumbled, and time slowed down. Seeming to go as fast as lightning, a rocket, propelled by its thirst for death, swooshed through the air; narrowly missing Alvin's vehicle and blowing up the humvee right behind them. The fireball cooked up Alvin's skin as it engulfed the screams of its victims.

Instinctively, Allerton shouted out, "RPG!"

Another missile exploded right beside the humvee flipping the vehicle to its side as the car absorbed the bullets impacting it. The windshield took several bullets like heavy rain, staining it with cracked glass; fortunately, it was bullet-resistant.

Mcleesh ordered everyone to get out of the car, which they didn't need to be told twice about. Alvin opened his door, the metal clanging as stray bullets flew all over. He climbed out and landed on the soft sandy soil, he saw the battlefield, the enemy on the other side of the river; engraved in trenches and buildings alike. Alvin bolted to a makeshift trench set up as bullets began to follow his movements kicking dirt up in the cloudy air. Mcleesh and Allerton followed soon, Johnson and Cardiff -frozen in shock- stayed behind the vehicle.