Chapter 5: The Reichenbach Fall

Back at 221B the analysis begins. Sherlock gazes at the forensic photographs from Scotland yard - the luminous footprints. Those footprints were all we had to go on. John and I had just come from shopping. Getting some food that was edible and wasn't part of the human being. "Sherlock," John said. "Is there any room in the fridge?" Sherlock didn't look up from his work. "Hmm?" "I said-" "Lune," Sherlock interrupts. "What can you tell me about the kidnapper?" I set down the groceries for a second while John rifles through the kitchen. "Mmm, thirty-ish? Medium height ... an elfin, rather dexterous little guy. Confident strides." "But how did he get past the CCTV?" John asked. "And if all the doors were locked ..." Sherlock sat back, debating whether or not to explain. "Lune, I'm busy. Go explain to John."

John was just about to scold Sherlock when I pulled John away so a full on argument would not explode. I just didn't have the time for their little fight at the moment. "For the kidnapper John, getting in the building was child's play. For example when I was younger, getting to kill big ass politicians, the seniors would pull together a 'charity' event and us children would infiltrate it. And when the big shots would have their private time then we would swoop in and assassinate them." I skipped over to Sherlock to see what he was doing but he swatted me away but he swatted me away. Apparently he was busy. Rude. "Well anyway, think what happens at the end of term, John - parents milling around." I did paint quite a vivid picture for John to imagine.

Parents coming into the school to collect their kids. Kissing them hello and lugging out suitcases. A dark figure hidden among the parents. "Some of them with chauffeurs and staff," Sherlock murmured from his desk. "Glad you care enough to answer Sherlock," John said while rolling his eyes with his arms crossed in front of him. Sherlock gave John a pointed look and stuck out his tongue. "Lune can do the bare minimum of what I can do, John. She's sufficient enough." John and I butted in at the same time. "I know that but-" "Hey-" "Both of you shut up and I'll explain," Sherlock cut us off. John and I shared a look. Oh Sherlock was in so much trouble once he finished talking. I nudged John's arm. Go on, humor the asshole. John sighed. "So you think he snuck in on the last day of term?" Sherlock nodded. "And waited for the next twelve hours, yes. Somewhere in the building."

I pushed Sherlock away from his desk who grumbled complacently. He knew he acted like a jackass just a couple moments ago. "Don't do anything stupid," Sherlock warned. "Yeah yeah sure." I crawled through Sherlock's email hoping to find something interesting to read. Ding! Oh, a message from Lestrade! What good timing! Clicking on the email, I read it quickly and tugged on Sherlock's arm urgently. He and John were in a little squabble like most of the time. "What, Lune?" "Take a look, yourself." Apparently Scotland Yard had received a message from the kidnapper. And we were running out of time.

TOmorRoW at DawN - ThEY diE.

UnlESS yOU brinG Me 1.2 mILLioN.

Sherlock slammed his laptop closed and snatched his coat and scarf. "Come on! We've got to go to Bart's!" He rushes out the door but peeks his head back in to call for us. "The noise is restless here and the equipment is much better at Bart's. Come on Lune, John." Both of us stood as still as stubborn as we were. "You don't need us," I said. "You're just doing a bit of experimenting and research." Sherlock pops in one last time and grabs my hand and kisses the top of my head. "Jesus Christ," he says. "Look I'm sorry you think you two are incomparable. But just trust me for once, eh? And John, I swear I'll clean out the fridge the moment we come back." John huffs in annoyance but eventually caves in. John knows Sherlock. This is just him being himself. "Fine, just let me get my revolver." Once John is in his room, Sherlock kneels close to my ear. "I am a little bit sorry," Sherlock whispers. His eyes darted to the bookshelf behind me.

"Alright, I'm ready Sherlock!" John calls out. He felt around and remembered that strange envelope. It was in his pocket. Well he could always take it out later, anyways. They needed to leave soon too. Sherlock quickly stood up and straightened his coat. I reached out and fixed his scarf which had become unraveled. We had composed ourselves quite immediately. "Well then," I said "Shall we get going?"