Chapter 6: A Scandal in Belgravia

John is slumped in one of the armchairs and I was standing on the sidewalk outside. The door bangs open and Sherlock comes in. "So where is it now, Sherlock?" John asked. "Where no one will look." "Whatever's in that camera, it's more than just pictures," said John. "Yes, it is," Sherlock agreed. Sherlock crossed over to the window, now looking out at the night. He picks up his violin, toying with it, thoughtfully. "So, she's alive then. How are we feeling about that?" From outside, there are cheers, and fireworks go off. I look up and see Sherlock looking down from the window. The fireworks were really pretty. I offer Sherlock my biggest smile. "Happy New Year, John," Sherlock says. "Do you think you'll be seeing her again?" John asks Sherlock.

Sherlock just looks at John. He overheard the conversation between John and Ms. Adler and Sherlock, John, and I knew it. But Sherlock doesn't answer the question or maybe he does. Still looking at John, he tucks the violin under his chin and starts to play. As Sherlock plays, he's turned to the window. Looking out, he gives me the faintest of smiles. Then, it began to snow again.

...

Summer arrived and Sherlock and I were at Barts. He wanted to study the phone more before going back to Baker Street. Molly was assisting Sherlock while I was eating ice cream. Sherlock is working at an x-ray machine. The camera-phone was being exposed. "Is that a phone?" Molly asked. I stopped eating and flicked my eyes between Sherlock and Molly. "A camera-phone." "And you're x-raying it?" "Yes, I am." "Who's phone is it?" "A woman's." "Your girlfriend's?" Sherlock sighed. "You think she's my girlfriend because I'm x-raying her possessions?" "We all do silly things!" Molly scuttles away, still a bit slightly guilty, not able to meet Sherlock's eyes.

Sherlock and I just arrived home but Sherlock was tense. Something was wrong so I scanned the room. The kitchen seems normal except the window is slightly open. The glass in front of the catch has been discreetly broken. Someone's got in. Sherlock walks into his bedroom and throws open the door. Irene Adler is fast asleep in Sherlock's bed. She looks tousled, her face dirt-streaked. She's been living rough. I hear John arriving. "Sherlock? Lune?" "We have a client," said Sherlock. "What, in your bedroom?" He joins Sherlock and I at the doorway. John sees who it is. "Oh."

Ms. Adler showered now, is in one of Sherlock's dressing gowns and sipping some tea. "Who's after you?" Sherlock asked. "People who want to kill me." "And who's that?" I asked. "Killers." "Would help if you were a tiny bit more specific," said John. "Tough. Where's my camera-phone?" she asked. "Not here, we're not stupid," John retorted. "Then what have you done with it? If they've guessed you've got it, they'll have been watching you." "If they've been watching me, they'll know I took a safety deposit box on the Strand, a few months ago," said Sherlock. "I need it," Ms. Adler insists. "Okay, but we can't just go and get it, can we? Molly Hooper? She could pick it up, take it to Barts. One of your homeless networks could bring it here, leave it in the cafe. One of the guys could bring it up back." "Very good, John - full of intelligent precautions," I said. "Thank you, why don't I get straight on to -" Sherlock pulls the camera-phone out of his pocket. " ... okay."

Sherlock sits in his chair examining the camera-phone. "So what do you keep on here? In general, I mean." "Pictures. Information. Anything I might find useful," Ms. Adler answers. "For blackmail?" John guesses. "For protection. I make my way into the world. I misbehave. I like to know there will be people on my side - exactly when I need them to be." "And how do you require this information?" I ask. "I told you - I misbehave." "But you've acquired something that is more danger, than protection. Do you know what it is?" Sherlock asks. "Yes. But I don't understand it." "I assumed. Show me." Ms. Adler puts her hand out for the phone but Sherlock gives it to her. "What's the passcode?" Ms. Adler frowns. "It's not working." Sherlock is already lifting the phone from her hands. "That's because it's a duplicate. Into which you just entered the number 1058. Funny, I thought you'd choose something more specific."