Chapter 2

It was around night time when Sonic swooped by again. Preparing to take me to the cafe. I obviously could get there on my own, but he insists.

"You ready to go, Y/N?"

"Yeah. Let's head out, hedgehog." I rolled my eyes as he picked me up bridal style. It only took about 20 seconds for us to get there.

"Nice to see you again, Y/N!" Silver greeted me with a adorable smile as Sonic set me down.

"You too!" I settled into the booth, "Now, can I hear about Sonic's water fear?" Tails snickered and nodded his head, Sonic shooting him a glare.

The environment was welcoming, but something felt off. For some reason, I glanced at Shadow and I realized it was him. What was it about him that made me feel uneasy?

It's not like the two of us have exchanged words with each other...unless—

My thoughts were cut off when I felt an arm to around my shoulder again. I already knew who that was.

"I can't believe you're afraid of water." I sneakily pried his arm off me, making him sigh.

"Water can be scary, y'know! Like sharks, an-and drowning, and whales—"

"Whales?" Tail's eyelids dropped, unamused.

"Yes!" He cried.

"Tsch, you're pathetic, faker." Shadow huffed, closing his eyes.

Didn't Mephiles use that wor—

"I am not! You guys just don't understand the reasonable excuses to hate water!"

"Whatever, blue. You're the crazy one, not us." I smirked triumphantly.

"Ugh! I should've never let you meet them!" Sonic dug his face into his palms in frustration. Earning cackles from us.

As they all broke into another conversation, rather argument, I took this time to reevaluate Shadow. He was closed off, yes, but something else was different about him.

I just couldn't put a finger on it.

Shadow seemed to notice my gaze towards him and snapped his neck towards me. I expected him to glare, but to my surprise, he just raised a brow and looked me up and down. I cleared my throat in embarrassment and turned back to face the others.

"Chili dogs are gross!" Tails 'puked'.

"You guys are psychos!"

"You truly are the world's weirdest hero." Silver laughed.

"Seriously! Chili dogs are greasy and messy! How could you eat something like that?" Tails turned away from Sonic in pure disgust.

"How could you not?!" Sonic snapped. Some people inside the cafe exchanged looks at us, instantly shutting us up. We sat in a moment of silence before everyone resumed their normal activity.

"Okay, let's change the subject before Sonic throws a hissy fit." I patted his shoulder as he growled.

"Too late for that." Silver muttered.

"HEY!"

~

It was around 11 PM when I finally got home. I was exhausted. Sonic made all of us go out for a walk with him, while he ran. It was only enjoyable for one person, not being any of us.

It was nice to have friends, but the atmosphere with them was weird. It mainly revolved around that Shadow guy. I felt uncomfortable with him around. Mainly because after he caught me staring he wouldn't stop returning the favor.