Prayers

Sorry for the lack of updates, but here's a sad little story for you.

"Papa?"

King Vegeta turned to his son who stood on his left. He picked him up, knowing he might not get another chance to hold him in his arms. He tried to ignore the other soldiers that stood beside him, escorting him to Frieza's chambers as he walked.

The prince snuggled up to his father's chest, shaking like a leaf. His tail wrapped around his father's arm as he spoke. "Why do I have to go?"

King Vegeta's jaw tightened as he fought back the storm of emotions threatening to overtake him. "I...Vegeta—"

"I'm coming back, right Papa?" The little prince interrupted, tears threatening to spill from his eyes. His little hands shook as he pulled away to stare at his father, waiting for an answer. "Right Papa?"

King Vegeta nodded, willing himself to believe a lie. "Yes, Vegeta. You won't be gone for too long."

Vegeta stared into his father's eyes, he could see the lie easily. The corners of his mouth turned downwards as a single tear fell down his red cheek. "I'll be good and do as he says and maybe he will let me see you one day."

King Vegeta hugged his son, blinking back tears as they neared the monster's chambers. "I'm very proud of you Vegeta. I don't say it often enough, I love you. I love you so much and I'm so thankful that you are my son."

The prince let a few tears fall and a sob rip out of his throat. "I love you too, Papa. I'm going to set us all free one day, I swear it."

King Vegeta patted the little Saiyan's back as he sobbed. "I know, I believe in you."

As they approached the door they both collected themselves. The prince rubbed his eyes and calmed himself, trying to make it look like he wasn't crying. But he knew it would, no matter what he tried.

Both royals flinched as the door opened. King Vegeta stepped into the dark room with a solemn expression.

He held onto his son tight, wishing he could protect him from the monster that would take him. He prayed to whatever god that was out there that his son would become strong g enough to defend himself from the horrors he was sure to face.

He prayed that the legends were true and that he would become a Super Saiyan. King Vegeta knew he would not live long enough to see it, but he hoped the prince would live long enough to achieve it.

Though in time, the king and the prince will learn that not all prayers are heard.