𝟏𝟐; too young

Too Young [for this];

          𝐇er skin is paler than usual. It feels cold. Even to the touch.

Her hands are shaking, but just a bit. A faint layer of sweat protects her from the humid temperature that is otherwise stalking through the battleground. Although night has fallen, that longing for a breath of fresh air remains a part of her imagination.

A wired fence is the only visible boundary between them. On one side stands the people of the Ark. Shoulders are tense and eyes are frozen.

The other side is illuminated by a mass of torches. And embedded amongst the torches are the grounders. Hundreds, if not thousands, of individuals- all hungry for vengeance.

Clove glances over at her friends. Their worried expressions are enough for her to divert her focus back to the scene. Why can't she feel the same way? Why is she less concerned about the outcome than her friends are?

What is wrong with her?

The blonde had taken some distance from the group ever since they came back. Why? The fear of blame. The fear of being met with a look of betrayal. Did she let them down by letting him go?

Did she let them down?

By the time she musters the courage to peer back over in their direction, they're gone. Her lips part, yet her words fall short. Confused, she seeks the crowd for their familiar faces.

Not until her eyes settle back on the scene does she locate a familiar mass of blonde hair. On the wrong side- on the enemy's side. Green eyes widen, her frame trekking closer to the fence. The metal wires nearly scrape her lips as she leans close to it, her breath fanning the cold metal.

"What are you doing, Clarke?" she mumbles hurridly, watching as her friend makes her way through the tunnel of grounders.

Bellamy glances over at the shorter girl, registering how tense her body is. He's kept an eye on the girl the entire night, yet he's kept his distance. It bothers him, he won't lie. Watching her attempting to swallow her distress, not knowing that the difficulty in her eyes is as clear as the stars above.

The following moments are strangling. Clove holds her breath.

Then comes Finn. He's led forward by a group of grounders, before being tied to a tree not too far away from Clarke. She watches on as Clarke leaves the presence of the commander, carefully making her way over to the boy.

She kisses him. Hugs him.

Clove can hear Raven and Bellamy share a few words of distress, yet she doesn't look over at them. Her brain doesn't fully comprehend the following moments.

Not until the brunette's raw scream shreds through the eerie stillness.

Clove's heart sinks. Her neck cranes as she lets her head hang low, her blonde locks shielding her from the world.