4

ROMEN;

I watch Arielle as she sleeps. Is it weird? Probably. But I can't help it, she looks so peaceful.

After the summer of ninth grade, I truly hated her. I hated how my only friend left me to go to some camp that she didn't even mention. I hated when I asked her about it she smiled about how much fun she had.

Was leaving me fun for you, Arielle?

1 YEAR AGO

I woke from my deep sleep by a pillow thrown at me. "Get out of bed Romen. You've been in it all month" Jordan whined. "Take a shower I know you've been depressed since Arielle left you, but you need to get yourself together"

"Jordan actually shut the fuck up." I rolled my eyes sitting up. "I'm not depressed I'm just tired."

"Me, Ethan, and Matthew are training for this season's football. You should come, basketball, hockey, and soccer players are also training at the field"

I feel bad that my older brother is begging me to get out of bed. "Fine I'll be ready in an hour," I said rubbing my face.

"Okay, I'll be back in an hour be ready!" He ran out of my room.

I really need to get myself together, don't I
Elle?

After a long shower, I decided I needed a
distraction. Even if that's becoming an athlete. Jordan comes running into my room when the time hit the one hour mark.

"Let's go" I half smiled and walked out the door. The whole car ride was quiet, well I was quiet as Jordan screamed his music.

And we followed the same schedule for 7 weeks. I was fine before, but when it hit the tenth week without Arielle I realized how she left me, and that was the most painful week of my life.

I simply couldn't get out of bed, couldn't eat nor sleep. My brother said I had my heart broken, and it was true my best friend since I was three was no longer with me.

I was a mess.
Arielle you broke me.

On the seventeenth week, I opened the door to see her face. I bit back the tears trying to smile.

I'm so mad at you Arielle.

"How was camp" I opened the door letting her in, the tension felt so akward.

"It was fun." She smiled. "I heard you're now doing hockey how's that going" Arielle flopped on the couch.

"It's fun made some friends" I said sitting next to her. "Why'd you leave all of a sudden? I thought we planned to spend the summer together?" I asked.

"Uh I forgot I was going, I hope you weren't to lonely" she laughed awkwardly.

Why are you lying to me Arielle.

"Nah I was fine. I just missed you. I have to go soon I have practice." I stood, turning around.

"Oh okay, what's wrong you seem upset" Arielle asked standing up.

I turned around, "It's nothing I just missed you" She smiled hugging me tightly as I would let go.

"I missed you" She whispered into my chest. "I'll come back tomorrow so you can go to practice, I don't have my phone right now so text my brother" she let go.

"Okay I will. Bye Arielle." She looked a bit sadder leaving my house.

Do I make you sad Arielle ? Is that why you left?

I put on my hoodie and sweatpants going on my daily run. I refuse to be sad.

PRESENT

We were currrently in the car. Everyone is quiet, Jordan's driving while Matthew is in the back holding his sister tightly. I thought he hated her?

He's trying to shake her awake but it's not working. I can tell he's getting more worried every time she doesn't wake up.

When Jordan pulled into their driveway. Matthew got out, holding an unconscious Arielle. I followed after him opening the door.

"Can you grab some cheese crackers and some juice." Matthew asked carrying Arielle up the stairs. I nodded my head walking towards the kitchen.

After I grabbed them I headed upstairs. Arielle was place in her bed with a blanket tucked over her, and Matthew was watching her pacing around the room. Why is he so nervous?

"Here." I handed them to Matthew, he place them on the nightstand next to her.

I want to ask 'what's going on?' but it's not my business. He moved to sit on the edge of the bed.

"I have to get ready for tonight's game." Matthew said turning to me. "Can I trust you to watch over her?"

I nodded my head, "Of course. Is everything alright I think she's just high"

"Im just worried." Matthew grabbed yet another blanket putting it on top of her. "It's very important you make sure she eats alright. Text me if anything happens."

What the hell is going on? Why is Matthew acting like it's the end of the world since she's high?

Marie is absolutely gonna be pissed."Okay, I won't leave her side"