Midnight Rendezvous

Many hours later, the Sorting Ceremony had finally ended. Gina, Eden and I rushed up the countless flights of Ravenclaw Staircase, expertly answering the riddle the looming door had given us before slowly opening to let us into the common room.
Ravenclaw Tower was a airy, circular room. The ceiling and carpets were both a dark navy with silver constellations and stars strewn about. Long, vertical windows accompanied with silk blue drapes were left open, the moon now shining through and illuminating the beige architecture of the walls. Backless sofas and tables with chairs were spread throughout the room, providing plenty of spots to study or relax. Two columns stood outside a round alcove filled with books, and beside those, a white marble statue of the house's founder, Rowena Ravenclaw.
I sighed, taking in the comforting sight I hadn't seen in months. I was home.
The Year-Four girls dormitories were empty when we entered. They looked identical to the ones I had called home each year for the past three years, with the four poster beds huddled around the walls of the circular room. I quickly claimed the bed nearest the middle of the room, as I had done every year, and collapsed onto the blue silk sheets. Eden took the bed to my right, and Gina, the one to the right of her. Still, there were two beds unoccupied in the room. I wondered who else would be rooming with us, but my question was not left unanswered for long.
Cho Chang entered the room, her eyes lighting up when they met mine. Behind her, a girl with curly, reddish blonde hair, who I recognized as Marietta Edgecombe, followed. I jumped out of my bed and ran to Cho, throwing my arms around her in an embrace. When I let go, I turned to see a confused Gina, Eden, and Marietta. I cleared my throat and gestured to Cho.
"Eden, Gina, this is Cho Chang. I met her on the train today! We've become wonderful friends already. Cho, this is Eden Scorp and Gina Yoruba, my best friends since Year One."
Cho nodded nervously towards the girls, waving briefly.
Eden nodded curtly. "We've spoken before, I believe."
Gina smiled widely and took the liberty to pull Cho it a large hug. "Well we haven't! It's so lovely to meet you, Cho!"
Cho's eyes grew to the size of saucers before she slowly eased into the hug. Once Gina had let her go, Cho motioned to Marietta.
"This is my best friend, Marietta Edgecombe. We've known each other since Year One, as well. Marietta, meet Tilly Bargins."
While Cho smiled, Marietta barely cast a glance at me. I held out my hand to Marietta, but either she didn't acknowledge it or didn't want to. I backed away awkwardly, moving over to my bed to begin sorting my clothes. Each girl had a small wardrobe and night table next to their beds, with plenty of space for clothing and personal belongings.
Cho took the bed to the left of me, leaving Marietta with the left-most bed, the one nearest the door. Usually nobody wanted that spot, but she didn't seem to mind.
Soon, everyone was settled in. Eden's clothes were neatly folded and hung up, organized by color and occasion. Gina's belongings were strewn everywhere, a few stragglers making their way towards Eden's quarters. Eden gently kicked them back to from whence they came.
We all began to make casual conversation, save Marietta, who was inherently avoiding any contact with myself or my friends. She would occasionally lean over from her bed and whisper something in Cho's ear, but that was the extent of her socializing.
After a while, the chatter slowed and everyone seemed to be ready to turn in for the night. We rotated using the restroom to change and get ready for bed. Then, we exchanged good nights and the lights went out. Soon, I heard soft snoring coming from both sides of the room.
I, however, couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned, wishing for exhaustion to overcome me, but both exhilaration and anticipation for the year ahead kept me up. After an hour of staring at the ceiling, I decided reading would be the best option to tire out my brain.
I quietly slipped out of my sheets and tiptoed to the door. For a moment, I swore I heard a creak come from Marietta's bed, but when I opened the door and the light from the hallway shone on her face, she was sound asleep.
I crept down the many steps of the dormitory turret before arriving back in the common room. Only the moon and a few stained glass table lamps lit the rounded room. Although it was ill-lit, it only took me a moment to notice someone sitting at one of the many tables, reading.
Roger Davies.
Before I could turn around and slink back to the dormitory, Roger looked up from his book and met my eyes in the dim room.
"Tilly? Is that you?"
I was suddenly acutely aware that I was in my pajamas. I slowly made my way across the room, self-conscious. "Hi, Roger."
Roger nodded to the seat across from him, so I reluctantly took it, feeling incredibly sheepish.
"What are you doing up so late?"
"Couldn't sleep. Nerves, I suppose." I said, rubbing my arms. "And you?"
Roger's lopsided brown hair fell into his eyes. "Nerves as well. Tomorrow is the first Quidditch tryout of the season. I'm hoping to get Captain this year. But..."
Roger fiddled with the page of his book, which I now realized was a Quidditch playbook.
"But what?"
Roger sighed. "I'm not sure, I'm, well, good enough. There are so many guys, not to mention girls, on the team that are just as good as me, if not better! Maybe one of them deserve it more than I do."
I'm not sure what caused me to do it, but I reached out and softly placed a hand on top of Roger's. I saw surprise in his eyes, only for a moment, but he didn't pull away.
"I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. You've been on the team for what, three years now? No one else has quite as much experience as you."
Roger now put his other hand on top of mine, and my heart began to pound. "Thank you, Tilly. That means a lot."
All I could do is nod, sweat starting to bead on my forehead. A moment passed. I gently slipped my heads out of Roger's grasp, and stood up. "Well, I should be off to bed. Good night."
Roger abruptly stood up. "So soon? I was hoping, well, you would stay a little while longer. We could chat some more, or just read in silence. Whatever you are up for, really."
My mind swam with thoughts. Was I truly interested in Roger? Or was I just fantasizing it? What about Cedric? Had I even had enough time with him to determine what I felt for him? Deep down, I thought I knew what I wanted. But now, I wasn't so sure. I didn't want to lead Roger on if he didn't even have a chance.
But a part of me wanted to give him one.
"I guess I can stay for a little while longer."
Roger's smiled widely. "Brilliant."
I quickly walked over to the alcove, pulling a book off of the shelves, and we both sat back down. We sat in silence, just reading our materials. Every once and a while I would sneak a look at Roger, and I would catch him doing the same. I blushed and looked back down at my pages, hoping he couldn't see my burning cheeks in the dark room.
An hour passed. I was truly tired now. I looked over, just to see Roger's head lying down on top of his playbook. I smiled, the sight of his sleeping somehow adorable and off putting at the same time. I got out of my chair as quietly as possible, then borrowed a throw blanket from a nearby sofa and gently placed it over Roger. I tiptoed back to the alcove, returned my book, and took one last look at Roger's sleeping figure before exiting the common room.
When I arrived back in the dormitory, everything was quiet, except for Marietta's snoring, which seemed abnormally loud, but I dismissed it and slipped back into my covers. I was now exhausted, yearning for rest. Even though my mind had so much baggage, and so many feelings to untangle, I fell asleep, somehow at peace.

Please remember to star the chapter if you enjoyed! It supports my story and motivates me to write!