A Proposal

The tryouts passed by in a blur. Students were split up into four groups, one for each House, and my eyes shifted quickly from the front row, trying to keep up with the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff teams.
After a while, it was finally time for Captain tryouts. I spotted Cedric down the field, looking calm and determined. I recognized Roger on the opposite side of the field, and immediately I could tell he was trying to put on a confident facade. His face was a bit pale, and even from so far away, I could see his hands shaking slightly.
Although the two boys were the same age, Cedric had an air of confidence that Roger was missing. Comparing the two, Cedric seemed much more mature in his actions. Roger reminded me more of a scared little boy looking for his mother.
There were a good number of people on each team trying out for Captain, but after seeing most of the auditions, it was clear that Cedric and Roger wouldn't have to work very hard to be the best choices for their respective teams.
Unfortunately, they both had their tryouts at the same time, vying for my attention. I tried to split my time evenly between the two tryouts, but my eyes kept falling back to
the yellow and black side of the field.

To Cedric.

The grace, eloquence, speed and skill he had was entrancing. The broomstick simply seemed like an extension of his body. His honey brown hair glinted in the setting sun, and I felt myself unable to look away.
When I eventually peeled my eyes away, I saw that Roger's tryout had ended, and he was walking over to me, his expression unreadable.
"So, Tilly, what'd you think?"
I was caught off guard. I hadn't seen the second half of his performance, so I wasn't sure how it had gone. Would it be obvious I hadn't been paying attention if I answered too unsure?
"Uh, you did great! I think Hooch would be out of her mind not to make you Captain of our House team." I smiled, hoping I had convinced him.
"Even with that missed goal there at the end?" Roger said, his gaze faltering.
I put a hand on his shoulder. "Yes. You were still loads better than anyone else who tried out!"
Then, the unexpected happened: Roger placed his soft hand on top on mine. "I know you're just trying to make me feel better, but thanks, Tilly." He smiled genuinely for the first time since he had stepped onto the Quidditch field.
I smiled back and simply felt content. I wasn't sure quite why; if it was because I had cheered Roger up, or if it was because I had felt something between us. The line was tremendously blurred.
I looked away from Roger just in time to see Cedric approaching us. I abruptly pulled my hand out from under Roger's, earning a confused look from him. Once he spotted Cedric, however, he lowered his head and nodded.
"I'll, uh, see you later, Tilly." He turned and walked down the field before I could even reply.
Cedric appeared next to me, then gestured toward Roger. "Where's Davies rushing off to?"
I relaxed, hoping that meant Cedric hadn't seen our little moment. "Um, he was just hungry."
Cedric nodded. "Quidditch is a taxing sport. I'm always starved after a match." We stood in silence for a moment before Cedric appraised me. "So, how did you like the performance?"
I grinned, remembering the way Cedric had breezed through the drills. "It was incredible. You were incredible. It was like you were born to play."
Cedric blushed, looking down and scratching his neck. "Aw, it's not all that." His grey eyes lifted as they stared into mine. "But thanks for saying so."
A million butterflies erupted in my stomach. Somehow, I felt shy and emboldened at the same time. Something inside of me awoke, and before I knew it, I did something I never ever expected I would do:

I tilted my head up and kissed Cedric Diggory.

At first, it was simply a rush of adrenaline. I hadn't even realized what I was doing. But after the adrenaline rush ended, I snapped out of my stupor and pulled away. I stared at Cedric with wide eyes, waiting for his reaction.
And then he smiled. That beautiful, kind smile. I slowly felt my fear turn into embarrassment, and then happiness, and then just pure joy.
"Miss Bargins, you really are something else, you know that?" He grinned, shaking his head.
Then, he reached out, placing a slightly callused hand on my cheek, before gently pulling me closer. "Do you mind if I..." He stopped staring into my eyes for a moment to look down at my lips.
I shook my head, smiling uncontrollably. "Go right ahead, Mr. Diggory."
He leaned down, his hair falling into his eyes as he started kissing me ever so softly. I had never been in a relationship before, or even been kissed. All I knew, was that this was special. And I was going to enjoy every moment of it.

At least, until a voice rang out.

"Diggory! We need you over here!" One of the Hufflepuff Quidditch players called out.
We broke apart, startled. Cedric turned his head to shout back. "Be right there!"
He gave me a sympathetic smile. "Sorry to leave like this." He looked at me thoughtfully for a moment, before nodding, kneeling down on the field, and started fiddling with some pieces of grass.
I looked down at him, confused. "Cedric, what are you doing?"
He didn't answer as he finished with the grass and looked up at me from on his knee. He sighed before taking a breath, and held out a small, green, woven ring.
"I know we haven't been talking long, but I feel we understand each other as if we've known each other forever. And I truly believe that we could grow into something wonderful. So, Miss Tilly Bargins, will you do the honor of making me the happiest person in the world and be my girlfriend?
I stood there, dumbfounded, staring at him, and the ring, in silence. It seemed as if the entire Quidditch field had gone still. I couldn't believe this was happening.
I certainly knew what I wanted to say, so why wasn't it coming out? I had everything I had ever wanted right in front of me. So what was the issue?

It was a tiny seed of doubt in the corner of my mind.

And his name was Roger Davies.

Please remember to star the chapter if you enjoyed! It supports my story and motivates me to write more often!