Breaking Hearts

I stood there, staring into Cedric Diggory's grey eyes.

I was terrified.

He was asking me to be his girlfriend! We had scarcely gotten to know each other, not to mention he was older than me, more mature, and altogether perfect. I would never be able to measure up to him.

And then there was Roger.

I recognized that being with Cedric was all I had thought about since the year had started, but Roger had been on my mind as well. He had been so kind to me, so attentive, and seemed genuinely interested in me.

Not that Cedric didn't have all of those things too.

My mind was spinning at a hundred miles an hour. Two very handsome and lovely young men were interested in me, and I couldn't decide between them! I had never expected this to be a issue that I would be dealing with.

But Cedric was kneeling right in front of me, with a handmade ring held out. And as he gazed into my eyes, I could see a look of genuine caring and admiration.

I could see love.

I took a deep breath, knowing what I was about to do was a huge step, but the right one.

"I'd be honored to be your girlfriend, Mr. Diggory." I said, heart pounding.

The biggest and brightest smile erupted onto Cedric's face as I held out my hand. He carefully slid the grass woven ring onto my finger, and somehow, it fit perfectly. He stood up and enveloped me into a hug, twirling me around the field. I laughed, feeling truly happy, trusting my decision.

"Nice one, Diggory!" A Hufflepuff called out.

Once Cedric put me down, I realized that truly everyone on the Quidditch field had been watching us. My cheeks start burning, and I could see how red Cedric's face was and how crazily out of place his hair was. I reached up and ran a hand through his hair, taming it. Then I stood on my tiptoes, planting a soft kiss on his cheek.

"Now, you better get going. You're needed by your team." I said, smiling.

Cedric frowned. "But, I don't want to leave you."

I wrapped my arms around him and looked up, beaming. "We're together now. You're not going anywhere."

That evening, after answering the riddle, I entered Ravenclaw Tower. Almost immediately, several girls circled around me.

"Congratulations Tilly!" A blond smiled.

A girl with cornrows nodded. "I can't lie, I'm quite jealous myself."

"Um, thank you?" I replied, confused. I assumed they were talking about Cedric and I's courtship, but how did they know about it? And so quickly at that?

As I walked through the common room, I received more congratulations, from guys and girls alike. But I noticed someone near the bookcases who didn't look as excited:

Roger.

He was sitting at the table we had sat at together just the night before, reading. I quietly approached him, hoping to tread lightly on the issue at hand. There wasn't anyone in close proximity, so I could speak to him in near privacy.

"Roger, may I?" I pulled out the same chair I had sat in previously.

He simply nodded, not looking up from his book.

"I, I wanted to break the news myself, but it seems word travels quickly."

Roger didn't reply. Or react. He merely kept reading.

"Roger, quite frankly, I'm sorry if I lead you on. I didn't know things would develop so quickly, but they did."

There was quiet for a moment before he spoke under his breath. "I never should have left that field."

My eyes grew wide. "What?"

"If I hadn't left, Diggory wouldn't have had the chance to ask you."

I was shocked. Did Roger honestly think that him staying on the field would have changed anything?

 Would it have?

"Roger, I-"

Roger abruptly stood up, closing his book. "Tilly, I'm happy for you, truly." He made eye contact with me for the first time since the Quidditch field. "Tell Diggory he's a lucky bloke."

Roger promptly put his book in its proper spot and walked away, disappearing down the hall.

I let my head fall and rattle the table. Did I make the right choice?

I welcomed the empty dormitory, glad for solitude while I sorted through my thoughts. It didn't last long however, because my roommates came flooding in within minutes. Gina and Eden arrived first.

"Ah, I can't believe it! Our sweet little Tilly is dating the Cedric Diggory!" Gina grappled me in a hug.

Eden adjusted her glasses, indifferent. "Gina, it's not as if Tilly isn't well deserving of this."

Gina's eyes widened. "Of course not! I simply meant, we've only been back at Hogwarts two days and Tilly's already taking initiative!"

I laughed. "To be fair, he asked me."

"What a gentleman." A sarcastic voice announced. Marietta and Cho had entered the room unnoticed. Marietta had her arm wrapped around Cho's shoulder, who was looking down at the floor.

"Are you alright, Cho?" I said, concerned.

She looked up briefly and nodded. "Ah, yes, I'm fine. And congratulations, Tilly."

Cho shuffled over to her wardrobe, quickly grabbing her pajamas and rushing off to the bathroom.

I looked over to Marietta, who, once again, was giving me a distasteful look. "Why is Cho upset? Did something happen?"

Marietta scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Are you truly so oblivious, Tilly?" She lowered her voice before continuing. "Cho has cared for Cedric since first year. And you just shattered her heart."

I shrunk back, appalled. "I wasn't aware, Marietta! If I knew, I would have-"

"Would have what? Said no?" She interrupted, her eyes piercing through me.

I paused. "No, I suppose not. But I would have talked to Cho before deciding anything!"

"That wouldn't have changed anything, Tilly! You upset Cho, and now you have to deal with the consequences."

Before I could retaliate, Marietta walked back out of the room. I looked over at Gina and Eden, who were obviously as bothered with Marietta as I was. She did, however, have a point. I had hurt Cho's feelings, even if I hadn't meant to, and now I had to correct it. I thought back to my earlier conversation with Roger.

Why was love so complicated?

How could following own my heart break so many others?

Please remember to star the chapter if you enjoyed! It supports my story and motivates me to write more often!