Train Boy

Our modest silver car pulled up outside the King's Cross Train Station. Dad grabbed my trunk while I held Lemon, and we headed inside.
Muggles were everywhere, rushing about, hurrying to catch their trains. No one bothered to look at me and Dad, but if they did, they'd probably think I was crazy, carrying a cat around the station.
We reached Platform 9 3/4, nestled between Platforms 9 and 10, and Dad stopped.
"Alright darling, you know the drill."
I nodded. "See you on the other side!"
Dad winked, before running forward with my trunk in hand, straight threw the column.
I prepared myself, looking around to make sure no muggles were watching, and held Lemon tightly. Then I backed up, and took a running start to the column. I closed my eyes, half expecting to hit the wall, despite the fact that I had done this many times, but when I opened them, I was somewhere completely different. It was still a platform, but instead of inside with silver trains on either side, I was outside, with a big red train with the words "Hogwarts Express" printed on the side, to the left of me. Many students in robes bustled about, most of them boarding the train or saying goodbye to their parents. I saw Dad up ahead, he was waving to me with his empty hand. I smiled and rushed over to him with Lemon still tightly in my arms.

"Well, this is where we depart, my darling. I love you very much, and I know you'll do amazing, just like every year."

I grinned, a small tear forming at the corner of my eye. "Thanks Dad. I'll write as soon as I can."

He smiled a proud smile. "I don't doubt it. You never let me down."
We hugged, Lemon included, and I took the trunk from Dad, waving goodbye.

I carefully balanced Lemon and my trunk in both hands as I boarded the train. As I tried to find a compartment, I dropped my trunk on my foot, and I yelped in pain. Lemon got scared and jumped out of my arms, running down the hall.
"No! Lemon, I'm sorry! Come back!" I cried, a bit louder than I wanted.
I bent over to pick up my trunk, and when I stood up, I saw someone walking down the hall towards me, with Lemon in their arms. It was a tall boy, who looked a bit older than me, with tousled brown hair, thick eyebrows, pink cheeks and bright gray eyes. He had a kind smile, and Lemon looked relaxed in his arms.
"Hello, is this your cat?" He said, petting Lemon slowly. "If so, she's lovely. One of the nicer ones I've met. Although, most cats are nice."
As he talked, I took in his voice. It was deep, but soft. I found myself blushing. I tried to reply, but no words came out, so I just nodded.
"So, she's yours, then?"
I nodded again.
His smile widened. "What's her name?"
"L-lemon." I managed to choke out.
"Lemon, what a lovely name. And yours?"
My eyes grew wide. Was he really asking me my name? Then I realized that was a normal thing for people to do when introducing oneself, so I carefully tried to get my words out without stuttering .
"Tilly Bargins."
The boy nodded. "Nice to meet you, Miss Bargins."
I blushed harder. No one had ever called me "Miss" before. It made me feel important, and I liked that feeling.
We stood in silence for a moment, before the boy cleared his throat.
"I'm sorry, but I have to return to my seat before the train departs. I trust you have one already?"
I nodded, not paying attention to his words. The boy held out Lemon. I took her immediately. I had forgotten he was holding her.
"Goodbye, Miss Bargins. I'm sure we'll cross paths at school." He smiled warmly before turning and walking back down the hall.
Once he was out of sight, I kicked myself. I could have sat with him in his compartment if I hadn't been swooning over him! And I didn't even ask his name!

I sighed and walked down the hall, looking in each compartment, but they were all filled. I finally found one that had room in it. One girl, with long, straight black hair, bangs, fair skin and dark brown eyes was sitting by the window, reading a book. I recognized her from my house. I had seen her around the common room, but had never quite gotten a chance to talk to her. I decided that now was as good a time as any.

I knocked on the compartment door and she looked up, startled. I slid the door open a tiny bit, just wide enough to speak through.

"Do you mind if I sit with you?" I said. "All the other compartments are full."
The girl nodded, and I slid the door open the rest of the way, setting Lemon down on the seat, and standing on my tiptoes to place my trunk up on the luggage rack. After shutting the compartment door, I sat down across from the girl. She was back to reading her book. I looked out the window as the train started moving, waving to Dad as he waved back.
"Goodbye Tilly! Good luck my darling!" He called, his voice being drowned out by the many other parents yelling their farewells.
"Goodbye Dad! See you for Christmas!"
The girl looked up from her book, peering out the window, and giving a small wave to her parents.
Once we had officially pulled out of the station and the commotion was over, it was awkwardly quiet in the compartment. With only Lemon's purring and the train's chugging for sound, I decided to attempt to make conversation.
"It's my fourth year. How about you?"
The girl, with wide eyes, looked up from her book, her hair falling over her eyes.
"It's my fourth year too." She said, with a Scottish accent.
I smiled. "I'm surprised we haven't talked before this. I'm in Ravenclaw too, by the way."
The girl looked a bit uneasy. "How did you know I was in Ravenclaw?"

"I've seen you in the common room before. I just never got the chance to talk to you."

"Oh." She said quietly. No one spoke.

I cleared my throat. "My father was a Ravenclaw. That's why I ask to be sorted there originally, but then I ended up liking it just for what it was."

She lifted her eyes from her book. "That's nice. My mum was a Ravenclaw."
We sat in silence for a moment.
"Oh, I didn't catch your name." The girl said, looking up from her book once more.
"Tilly Bargins. And I didn't get yours either."
"I'm Cho. Cho Chang."
Cho took a look at Lemon, as if noticing her for the first time.
"Your cat is beautiful."
I smiled. "Thank you. That's Lemon. Would you like to pet her? She's very sweet."
Cho hesitated before nodding, and leaned across the compartment to tentatively pet Lemon on the head. Lemon purred loudly, rubbing softly against Cho's hand. Soon, Lemon had leaped over to Cho's side of the compartment and Cho was scratching the tabby's chin.
Cho smiled slightly, seeming more comfortable with Tilly's presence. She pulled another book out of her bag. "I have two copies, if you'd like to borrow one."
I grinned. "Thanks, I'd love that."
She passed me the book. It was titled 'Magical Me' by Gilderoy Lockhart. I opened the book to page one and started reading. There was a comfortable silence in the compartment, and I had a feeling that I had just made a new friend at Hogwarts.

Please remember to star the chapter if you enjoyed! It supports my story and motivates me to write!