Roommates and Rivalry

The next morning when the light filtered through the stained glass window, I woke up, feeling groggy. It took me a moment to remember why.
"Roger.......common room......"
"Excuse me?" I heard an unfamiliar voice question.
My eyes jolted open and I sat up in my bed, surprised. The dorm was empty, none of my roommates about, except for Marietta Edgecombe, who stood near her four poster, staring at me with squinted eyes.
"Oh! Marietta. I uh, I was just dreaming."
"Uh huh." She said, rolling her eyes.
I was taken aback for a moment. Why was she being so rude to me? I had barely known her a day, let alone talked to her. What could I have done in that amount of time to make her hate me? 
I quickly decided it wasn't worth getting upset over, however, so I slid my covers off and got out of bed, gathering my school uniform from my wardrobe before entering the bathroom. I didn't bother to look at Marietta's reaction; It was most likely something I didn't want to see anyway.

When I turned the light on in the small bathroom, I was in for a shock. My eyes had bags the size of suitcases beneath them, and my hair looked as if Professor Trelawney had personally styled it. I was a mess, plain and simple. I checked the mahogany clock hanging above the doorway.
8:54.
I was already nearly late, and on the first day of the year! I wouldn't have time for makeup, I realized, so I quickly scrubbed my face, hoping any extra baggage would fall away. I scanned my reflection again. Not my best work, but it would have to do.
Next, I threw on my uniform, slightly wrinkled from failure to hang it up, and adjusted my tie before moving onto my hair. It was tangled and frizzy, so I decided a ponytail would be the easiest way to cloak the nightmare. I took one last glance at my appearance before rushing out the door and prayed I looked presentable.

Marietta was no longer in the dorm,  as well as the other girls, so I grabbed my satchel and made a mad dash to my first class of the day, Charms. By the time I had reached the classroom door, I was sure I was at least ten minutes late. I slowly open the door and tried to enter unnoticed. Unfortunately, Professor Flitwick had other plans.
"Ah, so nice of you to join us, Miss Bargins. You may take a seat next to Miss Scorp, in the front."
I lowered my head as my cheeks burned with embarrassment, and quickly shuffled to the front of the room as I heard my fellow classmates snicker. Eden gave me a look of solace as I sat down beside her. Flitwick quieted the students as he swiftly returned to his lesson.
"What happened?" Eden spoke quietly without moving her head.
"I got up late. Why didn't anyone wake me?"
Eden shuffled her eyes to my side, a small look of confusion showing on her face. "Before we left for the Great Hall this morning, Marietta said she'd wake you. In fact, she promised."
I swore I could have felt smoke coming out of my ears. "That little snake!" I hissed. "She wanted me to be late!"
I suppose I spoke a little too loud, because the next moment, Flitwick was beside me. "Miss Bargins, may I speak to you after class?"
For the second time that day, I looked down at the floor, mortified, and nodded.

After two excruciating hours of Charms and a meeting with Flitwick, I met Eden in the Great Hall for lunch. Missing breakfast that morning had taken a toll on me, and I was ready to get some nutrition in my system. I slumped down at the end of the Ravenclaw table with a huge plate of food and a sigh.
"What a day. And it's not even noon yet!" I noticed the empty spot next to Eden. "Where's Gina?"
"She's working on her Care of Magical Creatures project and said she'll be eating in the woods today."
I shook my head, smiling. "Classic Gina. She always finds a way to get back to nature."
We sat in silence for a moment. When I started picking at my food, Eden looked at me sympathetically. "What did Professor Flitwick have to say?"
I closed my eyes, not wanting to relive the moment. "He simply said he was disappointed and expected more from me. He asked me to not be late again and to focus more in class. That's all."
Eden winced. "That's all? I would have burst into tears."
I rolled my eyes and smiled. "Well, we can all have a perfect classroom reputation, now can we Miss Scorp?"
Eden narrowed her eyes playfully. "No, I suppose not. But I'll happily take that role." She stabbed at her beet root salad with her fork before delicately nibbling at it. I began to scarf down my meal, not bothering to take in all of the flavors bursting in harmony in my mouth. Soon, we were both finished, and we said our goodbyes as we headed off to different classes.

The rest of the day went by without incident, and after my last period I found myself with some free time before dinner. Normally, Gina, Eden and I would find something to do together during this time, but they were both busy working on start-of-year projects.
I oddly remembered my conversation with Roger from the night before about the Quidditch tryouts taking place after school, so I decided I would go to cheer him on.

I found myself stopping by the dorm on the way to freshen up. I decided a quick shower, face of makeup, and change of clothes would do wonders for my appearance.
I made my way to the Quidditch field, where things were in full swing. Many boys and girls were in their uniforms, lined up, hoping their talent was enough to get them chosen for their House team. I spotted Roger in the Ravenclaw sector of players. He hadn't seen me yet, he was much too busy with the drills Madam Hooch was prepping the players with. However, as I scanned his competition, my eyes met with someone else's:
Cedric Diggory's.
He was in his yellow House uniform, and I must say, it suited him very well. His hair was slightly more tousled than usual, and his cheeks a bit more rosy. He smiled at me, walking over to the stand I was sitting in. My heart skipped a beat as he reached me.
"Why, hello Miss Bargins. I had hoped I would see you again soon."
My heart jumped through my chest. Did he actually remember who I was? Our one chance meeting on a train?
"Hello, Mr. Diggory. Unfortunately I don't have any cats for you to charm today."
Cedric chuckled. "Ah well, I'll have to find something or someone else to charm then."
I felt my breath quicken. "That shouldn't be too difficult. I'm sure everyone on and off the field is captivated by you already."
"You really know how to humble a man, don't you Miss Bargins?" Cedric said, his rosy cheeks turning slightly more red. "Even so, there's one person I care about charming here."
For a moment, all went silent. The world seemed to slow down. His grey eyes gazed into my brown ones,  analyzing everything about me from just one look. It was the perfect moment.
Until I heard a familiar voice interrupt.
"Tilly? You came!" Roger exclaimed. He stopped short when he saw Cedric and I turn away from each other, blushing furiously. "Oh. I've interrupted something, have  I?"
"No, no!" I said, a bit too loudly. I quickly tried to turn the moment around. "Uh, have you tried out for Captain yet?"
Cedric turned to Roger, eyebrows raised. "You're going out for Captain this year?"
Roger nodded, appraised Cedric. "Yes."
"I am, as well. In that case, if we both make it, which I'm positive we will, we'll be going up against each other this year at the head, eh?" Cedric held his hand out, inviting a good-natured handshake.
Roger smiled a confident, albeit nervous, smile and shook Cedric's outstretched hand, nodding. "You're on, Diggory."
I could tell a show of rivalry was happening right before my eyes. But it wasn't just to make Captain for their respective Houses.

It was to win my heart.

Please remember to star the chapter if you enjoyed! It supports my story and motivates me to write!