Chapter 10 - Silent Nights Filled With Laughs

Darianna

We stood outside the store, a small wet chill reaching my finger tips from my drink. The small breeze made the stench of cigarettes drift past me. The occasional clinks of the convenience store door opening or closing added to my annoyance. 

"So is she your girlfriend?"

"No."

"Oh."

I took small sips from my drink and didn't move from my spot. It was a weird silence, there wasn't really much to say but I didn't feel awkward over it. 

"You're not gonna ask about who she is to me?"

I glanced upwards to see Mako looking at me with a solemn expression. It was one that I'd never seen him have before. He was usually just smiling and laughing, goofing off with that jerk. 

"It doesn't really have anything to do with me." 

"Sounds more like you just don't care."

"Maybe I don't."

A smile crept up on his lips after what I said and I couldn't help but stare. His smiles were some of the brightest I'd ever seen. I'd sometimes wonder about what he had that'd have him smiling like that— whatever it was, I wanted it too. 

"She isn't my girlfriend." He looked up at the night sky. "Just some girl that got a bit too attached to me after we met at a party."

He placed his hand on his cheek and started rubbing it. "Ouch, that really stings." 

In a daze my hand moved to his injury. 

"Ahh, yeah. That shit looks real nasty, should probably put some ice on that." I said with a awkward chuckle. 

My hand traced his cheek and felt the smoothness of it. His skin was awfully warm, like he had just been working out. 

His chin was chiseled, his lips a soft colour, his eyebrows were full and his eyes,

they were black with the slightest bits of gray in them.

Those eyes, I wanted to stare at them for as long as I could. 

They glimmered under the night sky and stared back at mine. I backed away from him. My chest felt tight and I looked away to the other side of the dark road, with metal fences surrounding it. My eyes stayed locked on looking at the surroundings, I didn't turn to look back at him again. It felt weird, my body felt weird, like I could hear my own heartbeat thudding in my ears. 

"Shouldn't you get home?" he asked.

I should've.  

I couldn't stay out too long all the time.

"No."

"Me neither."

We stood in silence with only the sounds of the surroundings to be heard. The distant laughter, ruffling leaves, and our quiet breaths were the only things my ears focused on. 

It was a comforting feeling, one that made my body feel lighter. 

'Strange.'