9 | NINE

*DISCLAIMER: I APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE NAMED ANNE

*DISCLAIMER: I APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE NAMED ANNE. IT IS NOT A BASIC NAME, I JUST HAD TO COME UP WITH AN INSULT.

Isaiah made his way into the small building that Jax had previously entered, and he was surprised to see it was a garage. With cars, three of them. Isaiah remembered them well enough from when he was younger. Jax was inside a blue one, staring at Isaiah expectantly through the transparent glass.

Isaiah got inside the passenger seat, turning to look at Jax. "You still have the cars?"

"Yeah?" Jax looked at him as if he were dull-witted. "We still travel, y'know."

"But we can shift into wolves, you idiot."

"Well yeah, but we're gonna go somewhere where there's gonna be humans," Jax said as he started the engine with his keys. "Would be weird to show up on the highway as wolves."

Humans? Werewolves interacted with humans at times, and some werewolves even had human mates (which wasn't very convenient). Humans knew werewolves existed, but most didn't know everything about them, like their mating bonds or their pack dynamics. Humans and werewolves coexisted, most of the time in peace, and they didn't bother the other. 

But Isaiah didn't have much experience with human destinations, or even humans at all. That was a generosity of Marcus.

"Are you gonna drive through the forest then?" Isaiah asked when a large door started sliding upwards, opening an exit for the car as Jax started driving forwards.

"No, you dumbass, there's a road in the back. It leads to the highway." 

"Oh," Isaiah turned his eyes to the window on the side. "Where are we going?"

Jax didn't answer for a few seconds, and Isaiah guessed Jax was deciding whether to tell him or not. Jax chose the latter. "It'll be a surprise."

"I still hate you," Isaiah reminded Jax, although it was a sudden thing to say. 

Jax only rolled his eyes. "I hate you too."

Most of the drive was in silence, Jax keeping his eyes on the road and Isaiah staring at the moving visions from his window. The car came to an abrupt stop at a red signal light, and Jax broke the silence. "You don't have cars?"

"No," Isaiah answered. "Some of my pack members interact with humans and go to human places at times, but I don't... I don't do it much."

Jax turned to him with an expectant expression, and Isaiah sighed. "Marcus doesn't let me." Why was he even talking to Jax about Marcus?

"Ah." Jax knew the topic of Marcus was a sensitive one. The red light had flashed green and Jax sped forward, continuing their conversation. "He's okay with you leaving right now?"

Isaiah dug his teeth into his cheek. "He's— he's not here right now."

Isaiah's discomfort must have surfaced, because Jax stopped prying. And for once, Isaiah was grateful for something Jax did.