19 | NINETEEN

The next few days were radiant, filled with a smiling Jax and a (mostly) smiling Isaiah, along with their friends

The next few days were radiant, filled with a smiling Jax and a (mostly) smiling Isaiah, along with their friends. They stayed some nights at the South pack house (what Jax so very intelligently decided to call his side of the pack) and the North pack house (which Jax also very brilliantly suggested the call Isaiah's side of the pack), alternating between the days. 

When the few times Isaiah met Marcus at the North pack house, it was of strange manner. Marcus only gave him a stare, cold, coal black eyes piercing the frigid chill of blue irises. Marcus would only look, then walk away, never turning back. And that alarmed Isaiah more than the harsh words or cruel scars Marcus gave him. 

Because this seemingly calm, non-violent Marcus was unnatural.

And unnatural was dangerous

It's fine, Leo would tell him every time. Maybe he's just backed off because of Jax, it's nothing to worry about.

And Isaiah could understand, trying to push down his doubts. The few days without the relentless presence of Marcus and his ruthless cruelty had relaxed Isaiah, almost made him forget about the man. 

It was joyous, made Isaiah feel like he was a child again—playing with Jax in the forest, spending time with James and Carolyn while his father continued his isolation at his pack house. 

It was just a few months, maybe a year or two, after Leah died and the love and fondness Marcus had for Isaiah blackened into sheer hatred. Isaiah spent as much little time with Marcus as possible, his then fragile heart unable to bear Marcus's atrocity.  

He would spend time with Jax and Jenna, occasionally talking to Carolyn and James. It made him forget for a little while. Forget that his blue-eyed, loving mother was dead. Forget that his smiling, warm-hearted father was gone. 

Forget that he was essentially alone without the Creeds.

It helped. It didn't make him lose all those horrid memories, but it helped him heal a little. The Creeds were always so loving, so caring towards him, before and then, and Jax— well, Jax was his anchor. 

For a while, until that day he went to that human summer camp. 

"Are you sad that Jax is gone?" a ten-year-old Isaiah asked a conspicuously dejected Carolyn, who was sitting against a tree near the Blue Stone pack house.

"Yes, I'm a little sad," Carolyn had answered, smiling amidst her glassy eyes. "I just miss Jax, with— with where he is at the summer camp."

Isaiah had nodded in understanding, laying his hand against the grass and wincing when he felt the small prick. "I'm sure he misses you too." He hugged Carolyn, because Leah always told him hugs made sad people feel better. "But it's okay cuz he's gonna be back in a few days, right?" 

Carolyn wiped a hand at her eyes, expressing a fond tenderness in her eyes when she wrapped her hands around Isaiah's smaller frame. "Right. I can't wait for that. Do you miss him?"