2

Syntax kept working. As he did every day, all day. Unless given another task, it's what he did. His fingers typed quickly on his keyboard as he stared at his monitor. He had trained himself to not even need to look at the keyboard, not even a small glance, to be able to quickly and efficiently type. It made the work go by faster. He needs to work as fast as possible, take as many shortcuts as possible, while still producing perfect and amazing work. He made a mistake once. And it cost him everything. He doesn't even want to think about it.

He was taken out of thought when the sound of something behind placed beside him filled his sensitive ears. He looked over and saw a pale hand sliding away from a glossy white glass plate. A sandwich, cut diagonal and with no crust, was set on the plate. It had black forest ham, lettuce, and tomato with a little bit of mayo. The bread was even toasted. There were a small bunch of chips next to the sandwich as well. A can of soda was set next to the plate as well.

Syntax looked up confused, meeting the empty eyes of the Mayor. He only smiled at him. " You look confused" The Mayor stated, examining Syntax's face. " I am." " I thought you'd be hungry. You haven't left this room since 8 am. It's 1 pm." " So?" " All you ate was a yogurt. " How did you?" Syntax asked as the Mayor just smiled. " Well?" Syntax pressed for an answer. " You ask too many questions. Syntax." The Mayor smiled before walking away. Syntax didn't like the way his name slipped off the tongue of the demon who calls himself the mayor.

Syntax sighed and glanced at the food the smiling man brought him. He first checked if any of it was poisoned before taking a very well-deserved break and ate said sandwich. It was perfect to his liking. It worried him. How would a man he barely spoke to learn how he prefers his sandwiches? He sighed and threw the soda can away once finished and got up. He reached for the now missing plate. " What the?" He got confused. It was just, there. He hummed and ran to the kitchen, he peeked from behind the corner and saw the Mayor. Sleeves pushed up as he cleaned off the plate Syntax just had.

He examined him. "It's rude to stare." the Mayor's neck twisted to stare at the spider demon. A turn that far would kill a person, and the Mayor did it so smoothly. It shot shivers down Syntax's spine. He gulped as the Mayor dries his hands, turning his head back correctly, walking toward the purple-skinned man. Syntax felt extremely nervous suddenly. His skin felt wet underneath, clammy and lightheaded. He hadn't felt like this in a long while. He stared into the Mayor's eyes. Due to their distance and Syntax's intense stare, he noticed that the white he believed was the Mayor's eyes were in turn a very light pale blue. The lightening of the cave affected what color they appeared.

The color was somehow more frightening than white. " Oh? You've gone all quiet" The Mayor smirked. " Why did you-" " Give you food?" the Mayor finished his sentence. " Why, I already explain that Syntax. Say, what good are you-" He started to walk past Syntax. "If you can't even support your own body." The Mayor's smirk increased, damning wrinkles on the man's face. Syntax turned to look at him, but the Mayor was already gone somehow. The only thing left was a faint sight of blue smoke.

Syntax was more than weirded out. " Yo" Spindrax walked over and leaned on his shoulder. " What's up you look like a frightened cat?" Spindrax asked Syntax. " I'm fine." He flattened his lab coat and walked away. " Nah," Spindrax followed him still. " Bro I can tell something up. I know you. We besties" She followed the green-haired man to his room. He sighed and sat down. " What's this?" She picked up a small basket on his desk. " Huh?" He hadn't even noticed. " Looks like bath products. Like a bath bomb, body wash-" " Does he think I'm a fucking woman?" Syntax huffed. " Who?" Spindrax set it down.

" Uuugh. The Mayor." " The WHAT" Spindrax started laughing she almost peed herself. " SHUT UP" Syntax shouted at her as she recollected herself. " Why is the, hahaha! Why is he giving you stuff? Yall dating or something" " NO" Syntax threw an eraser at her. She let it bonk her on the head as she laughed again. " So like, how did this start?" She sat on Syntax's desk as the man groaned. " I don't know, honestly. Like yesterday I caught him breathing down my neck as he watched me work, then today he gave me like a sandwich, and now this" Syntax crossed his arms. 

" Maybe he has a crush on you." Spindrax snickered. " I doubt it. He did say, what good am I if I cannot support my own body. He's probably just trying to, you know, get my stable then use me. Just like that stupid girl is obviously using the Queen." Syntax crossed his legs and leaned back in his chair. " Yeesh, ok now that's concerning." " Tell me about it." He sighed. " you can't tell anyone about this!" " Mark my words. I won't" Spindrax smiled. " So, what do you think about all of this?" Spindrax asked for the man's opinion. "It's giving me a head ache."