Chapter 18.2

"You're back from school!" Dad exclaims and gives me a tight hug. "I thought you'd never come home again."

"Where would I go then?"

"I don't know? Just somewhere far, a place cold and scary."

"I would never venture into horror at my own discretion!"

"Who said it would be you...?"

I gaze into his eyes as the pieces click. "Have I finally infected you? Did you have a nightmare even though you never dream? That too, horror and paranormal genre? I must be a strong influence!"

It is the first time I see my Dad so confused, stumbling on his own words. "Nightmare. Huh. Must've been."

"Tell me! Tell me the plot and all!"

He only shakes his head, saying it's far too scary for a little girl like me, and goes on to continue his chores. Every now and then, he comes to have a look at me, and then disappears back into his room again. It is as if he was confirming I am fine.

The nightmare has shaken him up to the core and he is constantly alert. He feels that I might vanish into thin air, admitting that even though he doesn't know what exactly he dreamt of, he remembers the feeling of loss quite vividly. To put it in his words, he says, "My entire world collapsed after one text. I think I went berserk, even."

It surprises me. He doesn't explicitly state it, but it sounds like he either tried to kill himself or someone else.

Though it takes us a while to get over, neither of us struggle with it anymore. We don't know what to think in the first place. The initial shock passed soon enough, thankfully. But the incident remains ingrained in me because Dad is mentally extremely strong. He never wavers like this.

It must have been a dreadful nightmare.

~~

A/N: He remembers not the incident, but the pain. Even magic isn't strong enough to pull out everything related to the Ava from before the wish from him. He's her father and she is his everything, magical or not.

This one's also not been proofread many times. I'm not expecting to update tomorrow, and hence, I'm trying to get as many parts of the story done as soon as possible. I hope to submit Humane by the 28th!

I would appreciate any suggestions and corrections!

Thank you for reading!