Chapter 4

You're not sure how long you've been practicing but you think you got the hang of it! At first, your movements were unsteady and you couldn't even count on both hands how many times you've fallen. But now you are getting used to them! Sort of similar to when you first learned to swim with your tail. Happy with your progress, you took a look around and noticed the voices of other people.

With somewhat steady legs, you walked around the pile of large rocks and you got excited. You actually had legs like the humans! Excitement was clearly written on your face as you walked along the beach and paused in the middle of it. This was so amazing! Faintly, you could hear sounds (what were they?) beyond the beach. Forgetting about the beach, you headed towards the other way and away from the ocean. First, your eyes caught onto the sights of tall structures and automatically, you assumed they were homes! The tall trees blocked the view of them. Then you meet some type of weird thing. Why did the beach become somewhat jagged and it goes up?

You glanced around to see another human climb up this weird thing like nothing. Carefully, you copied the movements of the human and once you reached the top, the excitement returned. The sandy beach turned into a hard surface with the things that kept zipping down pathways. For now, you went behind a group of people waiting at a corner. What are we waiting for? Your thought was answered as the things slowed down to a stop and it waited for the humans to cross! Wow, they were good creatures!

Following the group of people across the pathway, your eyes fell on green plants (similar to the ones in the ocean) and more humans eating food. The smell hit your nose and it smelled wonderful! Similar to a newborn seal pup or dolphin pup, you explored land and the different structures. Some had food with scents you've never smelled before or where they sold different items like the clothes you were wearing!

Too caught up in your excitement, you accidentally bumped into someone else. "Oh whoops! Sorry!" You apologized and to your surprise, it was the human you rescued! You couldn't forget that face even if you tried!

"Sorry about that!" He also apologized with a bright smile similar to how the sun shone in the ocean. It almost blinded you for a second. Then he continued on his way until a brilliant idea popped into your mind.

"E-Excuse me!" You called to him and he paused looking at you momentarily. "Do you know where I can get food for um..." The word was on the tip of your tongue but you couldn't remember it!

"Cheap?" He finished for you and you nodded. You should have been paying more attention to what those younger people said about cheap food. "That place has cheap food." He pointed to a structure across the pathway.

"Oh, thanks!" You smiled and happily went to stand by other people waiting to cross. You glanced back to see him standing for a bit before walking away. Mermaids were like humans too; wary of strangers so you didn't blame him. Hopefully, you'll meet him again soon!

You entered the store, amazed by all the things inside. With your stomach growling again, you took a look at the various foods they had and picked up something that was shaped as a triangle. This looked good! For a bit, you watched how people came in, picked something out and went to another person and gave them something. Oh wait! It was the paper things that Hae gave you! You copied their actions and when you got to the person, you took out the paper things and held them out.

"I'm not sure which ones to give you..." A confused look was plastered on your face.

"Oh, that's alright. Are you a tourist?" The person took one of the paper things from your hand.

You weren't sure what they meant so you said yes. The person gave you another paper but this time it was white with strange black markings on it. "Ah, it'll take some time to get used to it when you aren't familiar with a new country. Enjoy the city!" They smiled.

How friendly! You smiled back and walked out of the store. Land was great so far!

Hours later and you've been picking up on some words and what things did. Your knowledge has gotten way better and now you realized it was almost time to meet Hae. So, you hurried along the sidewalk (yeah, you definitely improved your knowledge; look at you!) and went down the stairs to the beach.

There were a few humans here and there. No one batted an eye at you as you hurried towards the rocks. Around the corner, you didn't see anyone until a familiar head popped out of the water. She tossed a wet shirt, some type of shoes, a bag and shorts onto the rocks as she hauled herself up them. "I didn't think you would come." She said.

"Why wouldn't I?" You asked.

Hae shrugged and you noticed the necklace she was wearing. Her tail then began to transform into a pair of legs. "No reason." She then stood up, slightly wobbly like how you were the first time. After she gained her footing, she quickly put her clothes on at incredible speed. She brushed back her wet hair from her eyes. "Ready?"

You nodded and followed after her. "So, what did you learn on land?"

Your eyes lit up in excitement. "I learned new words today! Did you know the pathways are called sidewalks? Or there's this hot drink called coffee?"

"That's good. There are a lot of words to learn." She responded and continued walking. You continued following her and she stopped in front of a tall building. One that you passed earlier. "This is where you're going to live."

Your eyes trailed up along the building. "In this huge building?" You gasped in amazement.

"Oh no. There's things called apartments where there's smaller spaces for people to live in." Hae said and gestured for you to follow her. Down the side of the building, you passed multiple doors (definitely getting better at words and totally did not run into a clear door earlier) until you reached a shiny door. Hae pressed something on the wall and the shiny doors opened.

"What's this?" You asked, a little bit wary of the tiny space inside.

"An elevator. Or you can take the stairs." She pointed to them and got in the small space. You went in the elevator and watched as she pressed the button with the number seven on it. Suddenly, the box lurched upwards making you cling onto Hae.

She said nothing as the doors opened and then she went out as you continued to cling onto her. Hae continued walking until she stopped at a door. "This is going to be your home."

You blinked and took a look at the door. Your first home on land...