Chapter 24

You let out a groan and in your vision was a rock wall. You blinked at your fuzzy vision, brain trying to process what happened before you fainted. Yeah, you only imagined that Hoseok was here in the ocean with you as a merman. "It was a dream." You said to no one out loud.

"Aw, I'm a little hurt." Then his face popped into your view. "Are you feeling okay?"

You're still in disbelief so you tilted your head to the side like Sunny. "Yep. This is a dream." You poked his nose to feel that it was real. "You're real?!" You didn't think of your actions as you jumped in surprise and whacked your head against his.

"Ow!" Both of you pulled back to rub your foreheads at the same time.

"How are you here?!" You recovered first and had to ask him.

"Well," He sat on the edge of the rock bed where you were laying on. "I met Hae and when she said that she knew you, I asked to see you and this," He gestured to his tail. "Is how I get to see you."

You looked at his tail and said a simple "oh". You're not sure how to respond to that! It took you a good few seconds before a sentence was thought up in your brain. "And why did you want to see me?"

Hoseok looked away for a bit, scratching the back of his head. "I think you're going to hate me. But I do like you." You stared at him like a dazed out fish as he continued on. "At first, I thought you were a really good friend but when you confessed to me that day, I started to look at you a bit differently."

You kept quiet and couldn't help but let a smile form on your lips. "So you really like me more than a friend?"

Hoseok then turned to you, his face blushing a bit. "Yes I do."

Happily, you clung to him, making the two of you knock down towards the ground. "Ow." Hoseok had wrapped his arms around you. "I'm still not used to this tail."

"You'll get used to it." You commented, smiling up at him. "Wait, I thought you didn't like the ocean? Do we need to get you out of here?" You started to panic a little.

"I actually don't mind being under the ocean as I can breathe just fine being a merman and all." Hoseok had a shy smile on his face.

There was movement and Hae entered the cave room. She scrunched up her nose in disgust. "Ew, if you guys are going to have sex in my cave, I suggest finding another cave."

"Sex?" You questioned and Hoseok underneath you started to make excuses.

"I mean mate." Hae sighed, thinking that your vocabulary had improved but it looks like not those types of words.

You gasped. "N-No we weren't mating!" You could feel yourself becoming embarrassed at that. "He hasn't given me a shell!" You quickly got off of Hoseok and he sat up. Seeing the confused look on Hoseok's face, Hae explained that a mating or marriage offer was custom with mermaids by giving their partner a pretty shell.

Hae sighed. "So I made another bracelet. It has the same rules as the previous one but this time if you kiss your love, you'll be able to switch back and forth for the rest of your life. Consider my debt clear now." She held out a bracelet to which you gratefully accepted. Happy again, you gave her a hug.

"Thank you so much!"

"You're a good friend though I suggest telling your family your plans because I do not want your sister here again." Hae now looked annoyed.

"I will." You held out your hand to Hoseok. "Let's go?"

Hoseok smiled and took your hand. Both of you swam out of the cave, well, more like you tugging Hoseok along like you used to do when teaching your younger siblings. "Um, did you want me to swim you to the land? It'll be quick since I have to talk with my family."

"Let's go together." Hoseok squeezed your hand. "I don't want to face your sister again on land like that." He must be remembering the time of Jihyo. He had a good point. So you took him to meet your family.

Taking Hoseok around the less traveled paths, you reached your family home. It looks like your brothers went inside or somewhere else. You couldn't see your older sisters either so you're assuming the same thing. This was a bit nerve wracking. "I'm sure they'll be fine with whatever you want to do." Hoseok encouraged you.

"Y/N, who's this?" Irene's voice floated towards you. Like you were in that one horror movie you watched, you slowly turned around expecting to meet a ghost. Nope, you met your two older sisters. One of which expressed the realization of who you were floating next to. You would rather take the ghost.

"You went up on land..." Your mother began. "To meet him?"

"Well yes but no." You tried to explain. All of your family was here, eyes only looking at the two of you. Oh Poseidon. This was... something.

Your little brother glared at Hoseok. "Decline it Y/N! He doesn't look strong!" Now Hoseok flinched and was unsure of what to say.

"It doesn't matter." You shot back. You figured that he must be sad that you're going to leave again.

"I mean it's kind of impressive." Wonho started off. "He went into the ocean to see our Y/N." He swam closer and clapped Hoseok on the back. "That scored brownie points for me, just get married already."

Jimin readily agreed. "Yes! He's like a real prince!" She gushed over him and giggled in delight. "I want a Hoseok in the future!"

Irene laughed quietly while Jihyo stayed silent. "Well, you were bound to leave home." Your mother smiled. "Though if you do harm my Y/N, I will find you and-"

Your father jumped in and saved it. "Aha, that's a harmless joke!" Your mother huffed and said to your older siblings that they need to find someone too. After talking for a bit, it was time for you and Hoseok to leave. Saying goodbye to everyone and promising to visit once in a while, you tugged Hoseok up to the hidden area.

"Wait!" Jihyo called out and you paused. Yeah you said a quick goodbye to her even if you're not on friendly terms with her. She took a moment to catch her breath. "I just want to say... I'm sorry. You were right. I guess some humans are not that bad after all." Her eyes flickered towards Hoseok. "Though I will hurt you if you hurt-"

"Thanks Jihyo." You cut off her threat. What's with your family? "Thank you. It's going to be a while before I forgive you." There was no way to sugarcoat it. Jihyo understood as she only nodded. Now, it was time to finally leave.

You continued to swim with Hoseok to the surface, pausing to see if anyone was there. Once you saw that nobody was there, you dragged yourself on top of the rocks and tried to help Hoseok as well. Thankfully, he did most of the work and now you two sat there for a moment. "So," You started off. "What do we do now?"

Hoseok smiled at you. "I guess anything we want to."

You smiled back and all your instincts were telling you to kiss him. But you realized you didn't know how. "Hoseok... can I kiss you?"

Hoseok froze for a moment and you thought that you broke him. "Sorry." You watched as he looked a little flustered. "No one has really asked me before, usually I'm the one who initiates these types of things..."

You gaped at the new information. "Really?!" You stared at him and wondered. "I can't believe it. There's just one problem and I don't know how."

Hoseok could only smile at you. "It's okay, I'll teach you everything, okay?" He held out his pinky finger.

You knew what this was! Excitedly, you wrapped your own with his. "Okay! Teach me everything then!" A thought occurred in your head; that you were glad to know that you took the chance to explore land and you even managed to discover what love was.