Chapter 22

A smile played on your face as you returned to the surface carefully. There was no one around so you carefully dragged yourself up the shore. It was nice seeing Jimin again. As the air met with your legs, they began to transform and soon you were standing in the shallow waters. Just as when you were about to take a step, a gasp was heard.

Your heart struck with pain and all of a sudden it felt like the world was spinning. Fearfully, you turned to the source of noise and your eyes wide in surprise. She wasn't there before! "A-Ae Ri..." Your voice croaked out in a whisper. "Please..."

"What the fuck did I witness?" Her eyes narrowed down on you. "What are you?"

"Please let me explain!" You pleaded. You could feel your eyes become a bit wet and the back of your throat began to constrict. You can't cry now in panic! You took a step forward.

Ae Ri then took a step backwards, her eyes glaring at you the whole time. "Don't come near me. Tell me, what are you? Did you come onto land to kill us? Seduce Hoseok and what?"

Your eyes widened a bit in surprise. "What? I would never kill any of you!"

"Liar!" She growled out. "You disgust me. What? You think you could just date Hoseok and make him fall in love with you?" Ae Ri let out a humorous laugh. "Impossible! He would never date a creature like you."

Her words stung you. What do you do? "Ae Ri, please..." You tried once more but she wouldn't let you.

"Shut the fuck up!" She shouted and then they came over.

Jinhwan was the first to show up, then Jisoo, Jimin and finally Hoseok. "Hey, calm down there, Ae Ri!" He went over to her and tried to place a hand on her shoulder when she slapped his hand away.

"Don't tell me to calm down!" She screamed at him.

"Ae Ri..." Your voice was weak now then she turned her fury on you once more.

"I told you to shut the fuck up, you disgusting creature!" She snapped. You flinched and Hoseok's mind finally clicked. Before anyone could tell Ae Ri off for the rude insult, Jisoo kept going, exposing everything. "Y/N is some fucking sea creature!"

The other people were confused. "Did you have too many drinks?" Jisoo asked.

"No!" She snapped once more then stormed over to you.

Your eyes widened in surprise and your body moved backwards just as her hand grabbed your arm. It all happened in slow motion. Ae Ri roughly threw you back into the deeper parts of the water. And it was enough water to make you transform.

No. Your heart got caught in your throat and you couldn't move.

Ae Ri had a smile on her face. "Look at that. Do you think I can become viral?" She took out her phone, its eye glaring right at you. "What do you think, Y/N?" Your eyes happened to glance at your friends. They were all frozen, shocked expressions etched on their faces.

A splash of water broke the tension. "You can fuck right off, disgusting human." You held back a gasp as Jihyo snapped at Ae Ri. Without another wasted movement, Jihyo grabbed you and dragged both of you back into the ocean. You kept silent and felt like you were going to cry. "What a bitch." Jihyo fumed then looked at you. "Are...you okay?"

"I didn't think she hated me that much." You could feel your eyes start to leak. "Everyone else is so nice! Why..."

Jihyo frowned a bit. "If they were nice, they would have stopped her. That's how humans are."

You shook your head, denying the fact. Jisoo, Jimin, Jinhwan and Hoseok were always so nice to you...

Two more bodies came over to you, Jimin immediately latching onto you. She didn't say a word except hug you while Irene pulled Jihyo off to the side. "What were you thinking?!" Irene hissed at Jihyo.

Jihyo stayed silent for a moment. "Maybe now Y/N will learn how humans are alike." She didn't utter another word and swam off. Irene watched her go for a moment before letting out a sigh. She returned to the two of you and gave you a pitiful look.

"I'm sorry that happened Y/N." She started off but you could hear the hesitation in her voice. "You're always welcome at home. C'mon Jimin, we have to go home now."

Jimin only squeezed you in response before pulling away. She had an indescribable look on her face. You didn't say anything, only opting to watch your sisters leave. At least underneath the ocean, you were alone with your thoughts.

Everyone on land was too stunned to speak. They saw a mermaid...right before their eyes. Well, Ae Ri had a malicious grin on her face. "Told you that we couldn't trust Y/N." She glared at the spot where you disappeared to.

No one said anything until Hoseok did. "Why would you do that?" He kept staring at the ocean.

Ae Ri scoffed as if there wasn't a good reason. "You're really asking something like that? She's a mermaid and you know what mermaids do? They try to kill you. Are you dumb Hoseok?"

And that was the tipping point of Hoseok's anger. "And has Y/N done any of that? You really think Y/N would try to kill us?" He glared at her now. "You have the audacity to say that I'm the dumb one? Or were you jealous of Y/N? How pathetic you are." Hoseok turned and walked away.

Ae Ri was stunned momentarily before the others in the friend group agreed. "Y/N was friendly to us. You think she would waste most of her life on land to try and kill us?" Jisoo shook her head. "You did this to yourself." Everyone else left her on the beach, Ae Ri's only companion became the ocean.

A few days had passed since the discovery of you. Hoseok sat down on the beach, Sunny whining at him. She must have felt that he was sad as well. Thankfully, Ae Ri didn't post anything of you, he hadn't seen her since the day they got back to the city. He also had to tell the heartbreaking news to Ms Wang that you weren't coming back. He couldn't even remember the last time he saw her cry like that. She really liked you.

Hoseok stared at the ocean, wondering how you were. Because of Ae Ri, were you too afraid to come back to the land? Did she ruin your trust in people? Hoseok thinks so but he still wants to apologize and to see you again. That's why he takes more strolls along the beach now, hoping to see you. You were really a great friend and that's one of the qualities he liked about you. Besides the fact that you were so happy about everything, trying to make it into a positive and... Wait. Did he... No, you were just a great friend!

Hoseok sighed and whispered the words, "I wish I could see Y/N again..."

Sunny barked and Hoseok shushed her but caught sight of a beautiful fish. It swam in the shallow waters, the scales sparkling beautifully in the sunlight. He was in a trance as the fish swam lazily in circles. All of a sudden, the fish darted back into the ocean. That was kind of weird. Hoseok got up and brushed the sand off of him. He would return later on one of his strolls.

Later that day, he did and ignored the person sitting on top of the rocks of where he and Sunny sat down earlier. A noise of splashing could be heard but he figured that it was the person enjoying the ocean. "Are you sure?" The voice asked and again he thought they were on the phone. "Hey you!" The voice shouted.

Stunned, Hoseok turned around to see a not familiar person. Confused, he stood still as the person hopped off the rocks, staring at him. She seemed a bit intimidating. "What's your wish?"

"What?"