Chapter 9.

THE WEEKS FOLLOWING was by far the best in my puny young life, as the voice who occasionally disturbed my thoughts put it. Even though I missed Amelia, we would call nearly every other night to catch up on each other.

Life back in Denver was pretty bland compared to Norway, as per Amelia's report. "Nothing new, no drama, nothing to live for" was exactly how she phrased it.

Meanwhile, in Norway, my relationship with the wolves has been ever-growing. I could now fully understand them as if they were speaking into my head.

The wolves and I spent Christmas and New Year's Eve together, me going as far as camping in a tent outdoors to be with the wolves. In the morning I had woken to all the big furry bodies the life out of me, piled upon each other in a tent too small to fit us all.

I'd also been developing my relationship with other staff members, in particular, Ian. Despite my talkative, questioning and at times annoying nature, Ian had borne with me and answered every random question about wolves.

Another thing to cheer about is so far, there haven't been any tourists to book the Wolf Lodge, meaning I have developed a 'permanent' residency there – like a fungus.

"Here's your truffle mac 'n cheese, Katie," Chef Bezos said before setting the bowl in front of me.

I grabbed my fork and stuffed a piece of macaroni into my mouth at the speed of light, only to leap out of my seat and dance around the dining table as the hot piece of food scalded my tongue.

"Hot! Hot! Hot!" I panted, sticking my tongue and macaroni out of my mouth. Amelia had once told me it would help cool the food down.

"I don't think it works, dimwit."

Chef Bezos stood next to my table, amusingly observing my actions, and taking pleasure in my pain.

Feeling my eyes tear up, I ran into the kitchen and splashed tap water onto my tongue; uncaring about the now wasted macaroni.

Eyes wide, I turned to Chef Bezos. "Why didn't you tell me?" I accused.

The sides of his eyes crinkled with age as he mockingly stroked his salt and pepper beard. "Hmmm, I wonder."

His eyes brightened as he pointed his finger at the ceiling. "Oh, I know! Maybe you didn't give me enough time to warn you!"

I pouted and ignored him as I returned to the dinner table.

Having learnt my lesson, I cautiously blew the macaroni before taking a bite.

"It's gooood," I sighed in delight. "Thanks, Chef Bezos!"

After dinner, I walked out of the cabin and made my way to the back

My wolves started to bark, sensing my arrival.

The second I rounded the corner, Fynn gave me a look. "You've finally decided to grace us with your presence?"

The wolves howled in laughter.

I pouted and took a seat at the round glass teapoy with wooden legs.

In the mood to sulk, I sat with my arms crossed while the wolves hung out. They tried to include me, but I refused, saying they could hang out in my presence instead.

Feeling a tug on my pant leg, I looked down to see Jesse's clear blue puppy eyes.

"Fine," I sighed, standing up.

Jesse brought me to an expanse of snowy ground. This surprised me, however, as the snow around the area around had already started to melt.

Before I could think any more of it, a large weight pounced on my shoulders from behind, causing my knees to buckle and collapse.

"Hey!" I screeched, "what was that for?"

The wolves ignored me.

Instead, Fynn bit the cloth that was my hoodie and started to walk away.

"Hey!" I tried again to no avail. Though the other wolves were laughing at me, I was solely focused on Fynn and his naughty personality.

"Fynn, what are you doing!"

My hands waved from side to side as I tried to fling my legs into a sitting position. No luck.

Body dragging through snow, the wolves took turns pulling me up the slope despite my ever-going protests.

After lots of muttered curses, they finally stopped walking.

As I got up, I muttered. "I might just disown you guys for doing this."

Howling comfortingly, the traitorous wolves gathered and surrounded me with warmth.

I sat on my knees, pondering my choices.

"Fine," I said at last, albeit grudgingly, "but I expect you to do everything to make up for this unfortunate incident."

When their howls rang through the cool air, I looked up to gasp.

We were in the biggest redwood forest I had ever seen.

I immediately shook the wolves off me, running to a nearby tree to give her a big hug. Even with my arms stretched around, the tree was so wide my hands couldn't touch the other side.

"She looks as happy as when Ian gave her a chocolate bar."

Turning, I shot a look at the offender. James. He returned a crooked smile.

***

A/N:

Holy dayum, thank you so much for reading and adding this book to your reading lists + libraries! Had you told me beforehand I'd get nearly 200 views in 1 week (the grand total is now 294 views), I would've signed you into a mental hospital, all expenses paid.    :)

If you're wondering how my Further Pure Maths test went, thanks so much for caring (if you didn't... oh well, I'll go wallow in my self-pity, brb), it went better than expected! There was a question about reciprocals which I didn't understand, but I did REALLY well on solving trigonometric identities even though that was to topic I was most UNconfident about.

QOTC: What made you click my book in the first place? How did you come across it?

Your favourite author who's running from the witches (a.k.a. bad grades) and multi-tasking (literally),

-Hilda

P.S, can you spot the hint I just gave in the A/N?

P.P.S, follow me and I'll randomly choose 1 person to follow back! (followers who are already following, you've earnt yourself a follow 😉)

Chapter 10 is in the breeze! 7May2022