Chapter 15.

AFTER AN EXHAUSTING day, I was more than ready to snooze like a noodle.

I originally planned to shower and call Amelia, but I accidentally fell asleep on the floor, too tired to care.

At Adrianne's office, I was informed of the upcoming Moon Celebration in two days. Blaze explained it was to celebrate the Empress and thank her for blessing worthy humans with a wolf companion. All wolf-shifters were to attend, and I'd be brought along for safety reasons.

Who says I can't protect myself?

The voice snickered, "remember some time ago you were complaining about how heavy a not-so-heavy bag was?"

I scoffed. I am strong and can protect myself now.

"That was two days ago, silly."

My inner self was still comprehending all that happened in the past two days: Ian's injury, his possible water poisoning, the wolves' secret, and the Moon Celebration.

In the past, I'd always sought comfort in sharing my thoughts with others. However, throughout my life, it was difficult finding a constant friend due to always moving around, but for the past two years, it had been Amelia.

From the moment we met, she was my ride or die.

As such, I gathered enough courage to finally ask the pack for permission to tell Amelia everything; I felt obliged to tell my best friend all about the recent important events. It took some convincing, but with a lot of pouting, fake sniffles, and huffing, they finally agreed for me to spill the beans. I think it's because they trust me and my trust in Amelia – she wouldn't tell everyone even if she loves to gossip.

Shuffling, I walked to and from the Lodge's walk-in closet and my duffle bag, dumping enough clothes to last the weekend trip.

It's not like I needed to impress anyone...

I immediately thought of the pack's admittingly sexy human forms. Or maybe I do...

Humming to my imaginary music in my head, I efficiently packed before remembering.

Running to my phone on the bedside table, I dialled Amelia's number and bit my nails in anticipation.

"Hello?" A groggy Amelia mumbled.

I squealed in success like a hyper guinea pig. "Lia!"

"Katy!" she brightened up, "would you like me to pre-order Ben and Jerry's new flavour, Cockroach Crunch, and express mail it to Norway? I heard there's no B&J there!"

I took a moment to belch and composed myself. "Although I know it comes from a good place in your heart – not – I'll have to reject your offer of having STINKING INSECT ICE CREAM DELIVERED TO ME!"

"Awww, are you sure?" Amelia dejectedly asked. "It's crunchy, d–"

"NO!"

"Okay, okay," she chortled. "What's up?"

"I was missing you, so I wanted to call, but now I'm not so sure.'

"Nooo," Amelia wailed, "what do I have to do for you to forgive me?"

"Hmmm, difficult question," I tapped my chin even though she couldn't see my actions. "Maybe you could come up with BETTER CALL PICK-UP LINES?"

"I'm not trying to get you in bed, silly. What 'pick-up lines'?" the dumb girl questioned. "I'M NOT DUMB, BY THE WAY!"

Oh, how she knows me even better than myself, I don't know.

"By 'pick-up lines', I meant–"

"Did you think I'm really that dumb?"

My face contorted in confusion, "didn't you just say, 'I'm not dumb'?"

"What?"

I shook my head in mock disappointment. "You don't even have to try."

"Ugh, whatever you mean bean," she sulked. "Seriously though, what do you want to talk about?"

Taking a deep preparatory breath, I told her everything.

Afterwards, blood pounded through me while I waited for Amelia's response. "Wow," she breathed.

"Yeah. Wow." I muttered.

"So, what are you going to do now?"

"I'm getting the vibe of not having a choice in whether or not I want to go to the Moon Celebration," I explained, "but it could be an opportunity to meet other wolf-shifters. After all, I might be one too."

"I'm still not over that. HOW IS MY BEST FRIEND A WOLF-SHIFTER?" she shouted into the phone. "Here I am, a mere mundane human."

"It's only a possibility... I'm not a guaranteed wolf-shifter."

"But still! A chance to be a WOLF-SHIFTER? Who would've known!"

Amelia started to babble about all the good-looking wolf-shifters I'd meet at the Celebration. Although she hadn't met the other wolves' human forms, from what she knew of Ian, wolf-shifters were handsome. No dispute on that.

***

A/N:

I'm so sorry for the late chapter! I knew it was supposed to be released yesterday, but I felt like the chapter I'd written had no direction and was all waffly. In the end, I couldn't bother to rewrite it so here you go: Chapter 15. I might change it in the future.

On the other hand, I'm reading A Thousand Boy Kisses by Tillie Cole; it's SO GOOD I just cannot explain. I've cried a few times, but it's a lovely, heart-moving book. I'm planning to read The Hating Game by Sally Thorne next. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

QOTC: Where are you going for summer?
I'm leaving on June 24th (the day school breaks) to go back to Toronto, Canada. I'll be doing summer courses at UofT for two weeks before going on a road trip to Montreal, Halifax and some other places. I'm so excited for school to end! (I have a business test on Tuesday so I'm really scared cause I haven't started revising)

Run wild!

-Hilda

Chapter 16: 18June2022