Chapter 29.

IT TOOK SOME time to shake off the feeling of not feeling in my skin, as if occupying another vessel as a body.

Riana stood on the side, patiently waiting for me to become accustomed to seeing the world from a wolf's perspective. A large wolf.

Our eyes wandered as I took in the surroundings of my room. The colour of the red carpet was startlingly vivid red, much brighter, and sharper than if viewed with my human eyes.

It looks like the colour of blood.

"You'll get used to the filter-looking colours," Riana assured.

The wood that made up my poster bed looked richer and healthier, with more shades of brown than I could imagine. A mermaid on the tapestry looked three-dimensional and sparkly as it reflected the light from the outdoors.

A sneeze and sniff made me pause and turn to look for the wolf, but I soon realised it was Riana. I should ask Jesse for a vacuum cleaner. The carpet obviously hasn't been vacuumed since they placed the bed on top of it!

"Katie?" called Adrianne, "do you need help?"

I'm fine! I've shifted, I called, before remembering I was in wolf form and couldn't speak English.

I was pretty sure I couldn't speak English, at least.

"You can't. But you can speak the equivalent of English for wolves," Riana explained. "Dog."

Dog?

"Well, it's a variation of Dog. It's the traditional version that all wolves used to use before some became lazy and decided to eat chemical pellets and biscuits. They became dogs. Filthy, aren't they," Riana lamented.

No, they're not! Dogs are cute!

"Fynn is cuter."

True.

"I'm coming in Katie!" Adrianne declared.

I looked towards to door handle in time to see it twist and swing open.

Gasping, "your wolf is beautiful!"

"Why, thank you!"

Aren't you just so humble, I deadpanned at the grinning wolf.

"I've told the boys to go to the field outside. I doubt you'll want their wolves meeting your wolf in your bedroom. The rebuilding would take forever."

Nodding, I followed her lead outside while avoiding furniture that seemed awfully big. I was slightly worried about Adrianne's comment about messing up my room into disarray.

Were the boys going to be that rowdy? It certainly won't be us making the mess, at least!

"But I wanted to make a mess," pouted a miserable Riana.

That's not happening to my room any time soon, I warned.

A light breeze ruffled Riana's coat, informing me that we had exited the house. Barking chatter sounded from the other side of the cabin.

"You know you can understand what they're saying, right? You're a wolf-shifter. It's part of the package."

How did I never know that?

"One, you never asked. Two, you never tried. It's as simple as that," sassed Riana.

Ignoring her attitude but taking her words into consideration, I tried to make sense of the repeating excited snorting and barking.

There's another presence! One wolf joyfully yelped.

It must be Riana! Another excitedly replied.

Of course, it's Riana. Who else did you think it'd be, the pizza-shifter?

I rounded the corner of the house, and the shouting over each other died down. It immediately quieted into a pregnant pause, broken only by the sound of the wind.

Five wolves ran up to Riana and trapped her in a circle.

Circling repeatedly, I could sense Riana's discomfort caused by all the gazes and the thought of not having an emergency escape path. A growl built up in the back of her throat as she let out a warning.

We're not here to hurt you! Blaze's wolf declared.

Yeah! We are your packmates! Added Liam's wolf.

When Riana didn't stop growling, their wolves stopped their barks of encouragement, choosing to sit back and allow Riana space and time to get accustomed to their presence.

"Woof," Fynn's wolf exclaimed.

Riana's head shot to the side and eyed Fynn warily. The cautiousness only lasted for a short moment, for she quickly leapt to Fynn.

Fynn's wolf, who had been on his haunches, stood up to great Riana and her probing nose. Sniffing the wolf, Riana was like an energetic child who had eaten the jar of cookies and was high on sugar. Wincing, I scrunched up my eyes when Riana sniffed Fynn's backside.

I never want to see that again, I declared. Riana let out a giggle in response. A giggle.

***

A/N:

Riana meets the wolves! When the wolves sensed her presence, they started chattering. Can you guess which voice belonged to whom?

I can't believe we've reached 10K. It's still a pill (a good one) impossible to swallow. AND, we're finally starting to get somewhere in this book!   :)

Thank you to all of you who have voted, commented and shown your support in some way, shape or form.

Hugs for you all,

-Hilda

P.S. I got a 77% in physics. Bleh.

P.P.S do you guys wanna fan names? I thought that'd be pretty cool... comment what you guys wanna be called. What about Hilda's Minions? jkjkjk...

Chapter 30: 8october2022