1.1 - The Four Cardinal Heroes

???: "O brave heroes, please save our world," announced a scrawny, priest-looking dude.

Naofumi: "I refuse."

Everyone in the room was left dumbfounded by this quick response. A curly, light brown haired guy with a bow and a straight, black haired guy with a sword were looking at Naofumi in agreement, though.

Then, he noticed the weapons they were holding and the shield he was holding.

Naofumi: Is this what I think it is? He heard a click of a tongue from one of the hooded figures behind the priest guy. "Sorry, force of habit."

Spear Guy: 'Force of habit'? Since when?

Priest: "Please, brave heroes. We beg of you! Please save our world from the brink of destruction!"

Bow Guy: "What do you mean by that?"

Sword Guy: "And who are these 'we' you speak of?"

Priest: "There is a long and complicated story behind all of this, but just know we had to resort to summoning you Four Cardinal Heroes using an ancient ritual. That is how dire our situation is at the moment."

Spear Guy: "Well, can you send us back to our world after we're done? And how willing are you to accommodate us, I say? Depending on your answer, we might end up as enemies rather than allies, I say." The rest of the heroes nodded in agreement.

Priest: "O-of course. As for accommodations, you'll have to seek an audience with the King of Melromarc, which is where we were planning to take you."

Bow Guy: "I suppose we could consider helping you out."

Sword Guy: "Agreed."

Naofumi: "I'm still confused. What are you guys in danger of?"

Priest: "That will be explained in due time."

- Time Skip -

As the heroes and the priest walk up a spiral staircase, Naofumi looks outside a barred aperture and takes in the view of the evening scenery.

Naofumi: "So this is 'other world' trope I've read so much about." I wonder what would happen if I died. Would I actually die or would I be sent back to my world?

Bow Guy: "I know, right? I can't believe we're actually in one."

Spear Guy: "How about we introduce ourselves while we're walking, I say? I'm Motoyasu Kitamura, the Love Hunter, and 21 years old, I say," he said with a smirk.

Bow Guy: "I'm Itsuki Kawasumi. I am 17 years old. Nice to meet you," he said with a cheerful smile.

Sword Guy: "Ren Amaki, 16 years old," he said with a cold demeanor.

Naofumi: "Naofumi. Just Naofumi. And I'm 13 years old," he said with a slight pout.

Motoyasu: "Eeeeeh!? Weren't you 20!"

Naofumi: "Do I look or sound 20 to you? Are you trying to pick a fight?"

Itsuki: "Even I didn't think he was any older than 15," he said, as Ren nodded.

Motoyasu: "Uhh...I mean...he acted so mature, so I thought...ehehehe..." I guess I can't really call him 'father' now.

Priest: "We are here."

Big wooden doors were opened to reveal a big hall with an old man sitting in one of two thrones under a fancy canopy at the end of it. There were tall windows on the left side, illuminating the hall. Armored soldiers holding spears were lined up on both sides while two soldiers holding tridents were on each side of the old man. There seemed to be some well-dressed people, possibly nobles. There were also some robed individuals around. Court mages, perhaps? This must be the throne room.