1.7 - Trial by Combat: The Shield vs The Bow

Back at the inn, Naofumi and Raphtalia were sitting across from each other on their beds. They were counting coin and taking inventory.

Raphtalia: "Aniki, we have 12 gold, 68 silver, and 27 copper. Our equipment and tools are still in good shape, so we're all set to travel. Now we just need to purchase a filolial and a carriage," she explained to Naofumi.

Naofumi: "Good, good. By the way, what happened to 'Naofumi-sama'," he asked with a poker face.

Raphtalia: "I feel more comfortable addressing you as such when we're alone. Is...that a problem?"

Naofumi: "N-no, not at all. I just thought it was funny how much you change the way you address me. That's all," he weakly smiled.

Raphtalia: "Onto another matter, don't forget we were invited to celebrate with the other Heroes at the palace."

Naofumi: "I REALLY don't want to go back to that place. Can't we just leave now," he asked, lying down on his bed.

Raphtalia: "Aniki, we HAVE to go. They most likely prepared a feast for us. We can't just leave on an empty stomach," she stood up, looking down at him.

Naofumi: "I don't wanna! My gut tells me we're gonna have a bad time," he whined.

Raphtalia: "It's probably telling you to eat."

Naofumi: "But I don't think-"

Raphtalia: "A-ni-ki," she stared him down, menacingly.

- Time Skip -

King: "Heroes! Thanks to your efforts, we've received minimal casualties during the Second Wave! Enjoy yourselves to the fullest! For tonight, we feast," the king loudly announced, raising his well-adorned cup.

Everyone was laughing and talking, cheering and drinking, eating and dancing. The Heroes and their parties were all having a good time, except for Naofumi. He was just standing in a corner, observing and planning.

Naofumi: There seems to be a lot of guards around. Makes sense since the king is here. I'm getting hungry, but I don't know if they poisoned the food. Everyone else seems fine, though.

Raphtalia: "Naofumi-sama, here," she offered Naofumi a plate full of meat, bread, vegetables, and other delicious sides.

Naofumi: "I...guess I could try some. What about you, Raphtalia," he asked, hesitantly taking the plate.

Raphtalia: "You're still a growing boy, Naofumi-sama. So eat as much as you want," she winked with a smile.

???: "Naofumi! Has anybody seen Naofumi, the Shield Hero?!"

Naofumi looked to the person calling out his name. It was Itsuki, and he did not look happy.

Itsuki: "There you are, Naofumi! Are you ready to repent for your crimes," he asked with serious face.

Naofumi just looked at him confused with his mouth full. Itsuki was patient enough to let him swallow his food before he could speak.

Naofumi: "What do you mean? The king already punished me by not letting me use the Hourglass to class up," he furrowed his brows.

Itsuki: "Don't play dumb with me, kid! I heard about how the girl with you is your slave. As an ally of justice, I will not tolerate such practices," he raised his voice so everyone could hear. Just as he planned, guests started whispering and gossiping.

Raphtalia: "Umm, if I may-"

Itsuki: "I challenge you to a duel! If I win, you'll release her and turn yourself in. If you win, I'll let you be," he pointed at Naofumi.