1.51 - [Filler Chapter] Finally Growing

Naofumi woke up peacefully, for once, after grinding levels every other day. He recently reached level 19, but today he felt different. He felt calmer than usual, but also heavier. He, then, got off of his bed and walked towards the dresser. It was shorter than he remembered but he didn't think much of it. Once he got dressed, he felt his armor tighter around his body. That's when it finally hit him.

Naofumi: "Am I finally going through a growth spurt?! It's about damn time! Can't wait to tell Raphtalia and the old man," he exclaimed as he sprinted out the door of his room and out of the inn.

Once he got to Erhart's shop, Naofumi made his entrance by bursting open the door. Erhart and Raphtalia were inside, taken aback by the sudden appearance of a young man.

Naofumi: "Raphtalia! Erhart-san! Look! I'm finally growing taller. I'm a man now," he said with bravado.

Raphtalia: "You're not my nii-sama..."

Naofumi: "Huh?"

Raphtalia: "There's no way my cute little brother grew into a handsome hunk of a man," she trailed off with labored breathing.

Naofumi: "Little brother? But I'm older than you, Raphtalia."

Erhart: "Looks like you won't be needing my help anymore. Now that you're all grown up, I will no longer lower the prices for you. In fact, I'll double the prices of my equipment, now that you're a man," he gave an evil smirk.

Naofumi was starting to get more nervous by the second. He's not sure if it's the lustful leer from Raphtalia or the greedy grin from Erhart, but he knows he can't stay there much longer. So he ran away. Ran out of the shop, out of the city gates, and into the meadows.

Naofumi: "Things can't get much worse."

???: "Oh, but it can~," said a bitchy voice.

Naofumi looked over to a tree and there she was.

Naofumi: Myne Sophia, or was it Malty Smelloarc? Who cares? I can finally confront her. Ask her why she did what she did. I am the Shield Hero, one of the Heroes who will save them from the Waves, so why?

Malty: "Simple. It's the shield," she said as if reading his mind. "Everyone knows the Shield Hero is the weakest of the Heroes. Isn't that right, Motoyasu-sama?"

Motoyasu: "Indeed, I say," he said as he walked from behind the tree. "You will never be strong enough to fight the Waves. Go be useful somewhere else. We don't want you to hold us back."

Then, Ren and Itsuki walked up to Motoyasu from behind Naofumi.

Ren: "Don't even try to catch up to us."

Itsuki: "You're so far behind that it would be pointless to try."

Naofumi looked down at his big feet. He couldn't help but feel that they were right. It was all because of this stupid Shield. What was he even good for? Back in his old world, he was barely getting good grades in his classes. It was probably because he would focus more on his hobbies. But he never even wanted to go to that famous prep school, let alone to a prestigious high school. He just wanted a lax life, and now he will never have it, especially in this world.

???: "Nii-sama?"

Naofumi looked to his side and saw little Raphtalia. Somehow, he was back to his original size because Raphtalia was only slightly shorter than him.

Raphtalia: "Are you not going to save us from the Waves, Naofumi-oniichan," she asked while tugging on Naofumi's shirt.

Naofumi looked away from her in guilt. He knew he couldn't say no. He couldn't turn his back on those in need. But why couldn't he? What did this world even do for him? To be fair, he hasn't done much for it either. But being falsely labeled as a criminal was uncalled for!

Raphtalia: "You're not really going to make me fight the Waves with you, are you, nii-sama," asked a much taller Raphtalia.

Naofumi: That's right. We were going to fight the Waves whether we liked it or not. And it's not just for this beetle-brained kingdom, but for people like Raphtalia.

Naofumi strengthened his resolve and looked directly into Raphtalia's eyes.

Naofumi: "Yes, I am, Raphtalia. I know you- no, WE may be scared, but we are not defenseless. We will protect those who are both scared AND defenseless."

Raphtalia: "But are we even strong enough?"

Naofumi: "Not yet, but we will be."

Naofumi looked towards the other Heroes and Malty. With his newfound confidence, he walked up to the group.

Malty: "Now what do you want?"

Itsuki: "We told you that you are too weak to help us. You'll only hold us back."

Motoyasu: "I even went out of my way to help you, yet you are still not good enough."

Ren: "If you can't get good, then at least get lost."

Naofumi did not flinch at any of these comments. He was determined. He couldn't bare getting looked down upon any longer. What they said was true. He was weak. Not because of the Shield, but because he wasn't taking the whole thing seriously. He has wasted too much time idling at a local archive doing what a bookworm does best: reading. But now, things are about to change. No more slacking off.

Naofumi: "Just you wait! I'll get stronger in no time! Even stronger than you all combined! Then we'll see who got good!"

Naofumi woke up tired, getting a feeling of déjà vu. He looked down at his body and saw he was still short.

Naofumi: I guess it was all a dream, after all.

???: "Naofumi-sama! Are you awake yet," knocked a girly voice outside Naofumi's door.

Naofumi: "If I wasn't, then I am now. Come in, Raphtalia."

Raphtalia opened the door, walking into the room in casual clothes. It's funny how much she's grown already.

Raphtalia: "You promised me yesterday that you and I were going where I wanted to go for today. Hurry up and get changed, nii-sama!"

Naofumi: This is going to be a long day...

Hey, I decided to move the chapter to avoid further confusions. Nothing else changed.