1.4 - The Tanuki Girl

Naofumi woke up on a small cushion that can barely qualify as bed in a very small room within the blacksmith's shop. He was feeling very homesick, hoping that the 'other world' shenanigans were all just a dream. He wondered if he would go back to his old world he died, but then remembered what Bakamura told, or rather 'wrote to', him and the others. He couldn't shake the feeling that he wasn't making up that whole spiel.

This brought in another concern: the second Guardian Beast, the Phoenix. He did not speak with it this time, but what bothered Naofumi was what it told him last time. First off, it said that conversations between Guardian Beasts and Heroes seldom happen, if at all. Second, the Waves of Catastrophe that are to come are unnatural and possibly induced. Third, and most importantly, the real reason for contact was due to someone or something tampering with time. He didn't think much of it at the time until he woke the morning of the trial and connected the dots.

Erhart: "Hey, Shield Kid! Are you awake," he asked while knocking on the wall in the other room.

Naofumi: "Yeah, yeah, I'm awake," he said as he groggily got up.

Erhart: "Good. There will customers coming soon, so I need you out of my shop as soon as possible. I got your stuff ready, so you can leave whenever you're ready."

Naofumi: "Kicking me out already, huh? Is there anything else you would like me to know," he asked, putting on a fake smile similar to the king's.

Erhart: "Don't look at me like that. I just don't want you to scare away my customers, being the Shield Hero and all. And look, I am not your caretaker. I am only providing you shelter. Frankly, you're going to have to pull your weight regarding the rest, especially since you plan to leave the country."

In recent years, Naofumi can't help but assume the worst of people when they offer any kind of aid, especially with how things transpired yesterday. He had doubts about Erhart, but this was the first time in a while since he met someone with seemingly no ulterior motives. Naofumi felt...at ease, as if he was with his family again.

Naofumi: "Thanks, pops. Really, thank you." His face eased up to the bald man.

Erhart: "No problem, kiddo. Tell you what. As long as you don't ruin my business, I'll repair any damaged equipment for you and you only for free."

Naofumi: "Really!? Wait...what's the catch," he narrowed his eyes.

Erhart: "If you break them, it'll cost you double its price to repair it," he said, wearing a smug.

Naofumi: A couple seconds passed. "Deal," he broke the silence.

- Time Skip -

Naofumi was out in the meadows once again, grinding experience from Balloon monsters and Usapils. He had collected dozens of Balloon fodder and bronze, but he only leveled up once. His defense is very high, while his offense is very low. Therefore, grinding wasn't very fruitful. At least he got more bronze before the sun completely hid behind the horizon.

Suddenly, in the corner of his eye, Naofumi spotted a familiar figure hiding behind a tree nearby.

Naofumi: Is that...Bakamura? No, that can't be. Or maybe it is, and he's planning to ambush me as revenge for what happened to that 'snake' disguised as a maiden.

Naofumi successfully made his way to the tree, surprisingly not alerting the person hiding behind it.

Motoyasu: I have to confront father about what happened, I say. I can't lose this chance after I managed to sneak away from my party. It won't be long until they find out where I went, I say.

His train of thought was interrupted by the sudden appearance of Naofumi.

Naofumi: "I've caught you! Now explain yourself, Bakamura!"