[2] a big lie will leave me dry

'Yes, and again, I thank you, but it wouldn't be safe to go alone.' Dumbledore said as he was leaning on his desk. His office was as splendidly organized as ever. Ariadne only had to come here twice before; once when she had practiced a self-invented spell on a fellow student and once to talk about her remarkable magical abilities. 

The place hadn't changed much since, but she had. There was a time that no one would have recognized her, she had completely altered her appearance. Which metamorphmagi wouldn't abuse their power after all?

Dumbledore had guessed her identity though when she'd repeatedly appeared at the inn that was run by Abelforth. And it wasn't because of the black silk gloves which she had religiously worn ever since she returned from Versailles. Her powers had deteriorated increasingly over the past time as she struggled with heavy emotions, or rather the lack thereof.

She exhaled heavily. There was nothing that she loathed more than the thought of teamwork. She couldn't stand other people almost as much as she couldn't stand herself. 

'I can do it perfectly fine alone Professor, you know how determined I am, you told me so yourself. Besides this way no one else would have to suffer the deadly consequences this mission might have.' 

'Oh, but I believe that to be the contrary; if Grindelwald discovers your identity I am afraid that this could become a catastrophe, not only for yourself but also for all of us, the entire wizarding world, regardless of your unquestionable determination.'

Ariadne took her time to think on that, she did not want that to happen. It could become catastrophic if her powers were to fall in the wrong hand, that was true. But she refused to believe she would ever succumb to Grindelwald. She could not.

"Professor Dumbledore, we both know I would rather die then-"

"Well, excellent, then you would agree to a companion!"

She wanted to say that her readiness to die is perhaps higher than her readiness to engage in teamwork and social interaction. But she would be lying. Frankly speaking, she would do anything. She would give up everything to take down Grindelwald. Both Dumbledore and her knew that. She just did not particularly want to be around anyone.

Ariadne simply crossed her arms and looked out of the window. There were small Hogwarts students chasing after one another. It reminded her of her past, all before her life took a turn for the worse. Her gaze got less worried as she watched the interactions the students held. Her heart appeared to have found a certain serenity.

Dumbledore followed her gaze and went to stand next to the window, with his hands on the frame. He looked outside. He was quite surprised by what the saw, but then quickly grinned and said 'Of course. So, be it."

Ariadne turned her head to the Professor, unsure what he was referring to. 

"Do you believe in fate, Ariadne?"

"Religiously." she answered, slightly taken a back a single muscle straining near her mouth. Dumbledore knew her too well.

"You came here because of fate's call, didn't you?" He continued. "I believe fate has given you a companion."

'How kind." She managed to sarcastically breathe out, feeling outwitted by the man.

Albus Dumbledore smiled faintly at her. Her facial expression made him recalled a particular group project that Ariadne had participated in as a student.

"I am well aware of your disdain for groupwork, Ariadne. I would never force you do to anything. I will respect any decision you will take."

"I know. I'll do what it takes, no matter the cost."