[3] believing in fate may lead to hate

A conversation flashed before Ariadne's eyes, one she had when she was little. 

A little boy and a little girl were playing outside. They were chatting with the little words they possessed. Ariadne heard laughter that faded away. 

"Dusha moya," her mom called her as plucked her away from the garden as if she were a little flower "do not tell anyone your name."

The little child furred her eyebrows and stared at her mother." Why not?'"

"Names are powerful. If someone knows your name they have power over you. They can curse it, or ..." she refrain herself from talking, realizing that this might not be appropriate conversation for a five year old. "The less people know your name the better. It is ancient magic. Our family survived for so long because of it."

"But there are so many other families! This little boy told me..."

Her mom interrupted her, rolling her eyes at the innocent child. After 6 kids, she really had no patience left. "They are not like you. Your roots date back to Ancient Rome. These people already boast if their roots start after Merlin."

She remembered her mothers hair so well. It was a dark red, like a lot of the women from her family. And she always wore either deep green emeralds or dark blue sapphires. 

A sadness haunted Ariadne's face after recalling that. She cast away her eyes, conditioning them to look at the floor. She needed some sleep. She was going insane, not knowing dream from reality. 

Was this guy even real or had she imagined him? 

This made her look up at him again. What is true? What is real? She did not know if he was real or not, but he was hot. That was certain, Ariadne thought.  

Did I make her sad? Oh, Merlin, I have been staring at her for way too long. She must think I am some kind of creep.  Theseus quickly refocused his attention only to find Dumbledore also in the room. The whole reason he got here in the first place.

"I am so glad you came, Mister Scamander."

"Of course." Theseus simply replied, still taken a bit aback. He was relieved to have guessed the author of the small note. And well, probably also relieved that he was not staring at the witch anymore. Even though he wanted to stare some more at her again. 

What note was this man thinking about, Ariadne thought to herself, as the mysterious man's thoughts continued to dwell inside her head. At this point she felt like she had no control over her abilities anymore. 

Your hair is turning proper red. That was Dumbledore's thought, or rather a warning to her. She caught him giving her a quick glance, before touching Theseus' arm, walking him to his desk so that he wouldn't see her.

Ariadne quickly fixed her hair to the best of her abysmal abilities.

Fuck. This guy seemed pretty real. And he will probably be her partner. Way to go with the first impression, she thought. Well, at least it couldn't become any more uncomfortable and weird. This thought caused her to almost snicker. 

Usually she would just delete the memory out of her head; all awkward encounters gone with with a simple obliviation spell. Sometimes, stronger measures were necessary, pulling the memories forcefully out of her head. At her apartment in London she had an entire pool filled with awkward memories. If she was feeling particularly stupid, she would jump in the water and swim in her own stupidity. Who needs the cruciatus curse, when you could literally drown in your own misery? That was probably the only physical activity she got anyways. Unless, of course, she was busy swimming in her other pool - filled with the tears of her enemies (those tears she'd mostly collected from fellow students during her Hogwarts times, ah, so much fun).