29. Drama Everywhere

27/06/2021

Roxy's 1st Person POV

Buzz buzz buzz

I feel my phone buzzing in my sweater pocket. I pull out my phone to see a call from my mom. It's 2 pm where I'm at, so it should be 8 am in Romania.

I'm in the middle of curling my hair in the hotel bathroom. I'm planning on meeting up with Melina and Sarah in the hotel lobby to head to the muster venue in an hour.

I haven't been able to talk to my mom in a while so I decide to answer her call.

Roxy:
"Hey , Mom!"

Mom:
"Hey, Sweetie! How's your day going?"

Roxy:
"It's going well! Just getting ready to head over to the concert venue soon."

Mom:
"Oh, that's good. Is everyone treating you okay? Is that troublesome dancer girl still giving you problems?"

My mom is asking about Hari because I have vented to her about how Hari's been acting when she's around me. It's always been easy to talk to and be open with my mom, but not so much my dad.

Roxy:
"She's still a pain in the ass, but I can handle her, Mom. Don't worry."

Mom:
"I know, I'm just looking out for you."

Roxy:
"I know you are, Mom. And, that means a lot. Anyway, how are you and dad doing?"

I didn't  want to bring up dad, but I do want to know how they're both doing. I just have a feeling that with me bringing him up, I know that my mom is going to mention how I keep avoiding his calls and texts.

Mom:
"I'm doing well. I was able to sleep well last night and now I am waiting for your sister to get here so we can go shopping for your Aunt Georgeta's birthday present."

Roxy:
"Oh, that's nice! I'll have to send Aunt Georgeta something."

Mom:
"Oh, she would love that!"

She pauses and her tone changes.

By the way, your dad keeps asking about when you'll call him back. Honey, I don't like that you're avoiding his calls.

Before I can say anything, I can hear my dad in the background asking, "Who's that? Is that Roxy?" And, before I know it, he's on the phone.

Dad:
"Roxy?"

Roxy:
"Hi, Dad."

My voice comes out meekly. And, of course my dad sounds stern.

Dad:
"I've been trying to get a hold of you."

Roxy:
"I'm sorry, Dad. I've just been busy."

Dad:
"With what?"