XI. Whirlwind

People in chains, clinging from their necks to their feet. Women and children, all scarred with various wounds. They all look so scared... just as I used to be. How are they able to walk the open streets like this? Where is everyone? How are the bastards in charge so carefree?

"We... should stay clear of them. They seem strong" Mira said.

I pushed myself off Astrid and started walking towards the group of men holding the chains. I couldn't let this go unpunished. I have the power to stop this right? I can handle myself. What's the point of having these powers if I'm not able to benefit anyone with them. They're a curse to me... but they could help other people. Those girls shouldn't have to go through what I did; I can stop this.

My nails started digging into the skin of my palm, exposing my blood. It was darker than before.

"Reimi! We should listen to Mira, l-let's be smart about this" Astrid said.

Her expression was rage-filled like mine, but if she really felt as strong as I do, why doesn't she want to act now?

Gheera, lend me some strength.

"Heh, sure kid. Knock yourself out..." he grumbled.

I could hear him start to laugh maniacally. "Chase your justice. Get your revenge. Rend all those who stand in your way to ashes. Bathe in their blood Reimi."

...Am I doing the right thing?

"My, my, two lovely women just roaming the streets alone— at this time? We couldn't have gotten luckier" one of the men yelled, he wore a very tattered top hat.

"We might need a gag and more chains for the bitch in front though, looks crazy as hell," a man with a long and unkempt beard said.

My teeth were starting to rattle from how hard they were pressing together. There was only one man left who hadn't made a dumb comment. He seemed the most serious of them all. Wearing a mask that resembled the face of a troll or goblin. This masked man also towered over the other two, he had to be at least eight feet tall. I can tell my anger is dampening my senses... how could I have not noticed someone that big. Whatever, the bigger they are the harder they fall right?

I have no words to say, just things I have to do I guess.

"Reimi wait!" Astrid and Mira both shouted.

I could hear them, but their words seemed to bounce away. My eyes were solely locked on the men ahead. But... it didn't feel right. The skin on my hands crystalized, and the ends of my fingers became extremely sharp. Before the two guys in front could react; I tore out their hearts. I moved faster than they could blink. I took care of them like I wanted. Why aren't I feeling anything? Why is this all so... emotionless. Their blood and entrails fell with them to the concrete, swimming through all the crevices. The hearts stood empty in my palms.

"Vile magic you have there, little one" the giant man spoke.

"Shut up monster" I replied hastily.

The man took a step back and arched his back far forward, looking down at me. "Monster? From where I'm standing, there's only one of those here. Look, even your friends back there are horrified."

I turn my head back to see Astrid, shaking and staring. Her eyes... were cold. Filled with worry, but glazed over with something I couldn't read. Does she- does she really think I'm a monster? I didn't do anything wrong... I just gave these guys what they deserved. Right?

As my arms fell back to my side, I lost grip of the two hearts. Something warm was trailing down my face. What's happening to me..?

"Powerful, but very inexperienced. I could've killed you hundreds of times by now" the man gruffed.