Chapter 2: "Why Is It Green?"

The next morning, I realized I had no coffee and no breakfast, so I grunted out of my room and headed for the nearest kiosk to caff up. There was a long line already, with people practically vibrating for their next fix. I frowned, looking at my feet. Shit, I really wasn't good at this socializing part. How was I supposed to make friends when I hated approaching strange people? I decided I'd rather keep to myself for now.

"Don't tell me... it was Jesse."

I flipped around to see that grinning creature from the hall again.

"David, right?" I said automatically.

He snorted, then looked me over, frowning. "You're lively in the morning."

"I haven't had coffee yet."

"What are you, fifty? You're not supposed to be addicted to the stuff already. Don't tell me, you also need an IV line hooked 24/7."

I blew out a breath. "Do you always annoy people you've just met?" Man, he was really ruining my plan to never see him again. He was gorgeous, he knew it, and I bet my left nut he was straight. So being friends with that would be a disaster. No thanks, I'd learned my lesson.

"Nah, just a few special ones."

I turned back to the kiosk, ignoring him.

"How's your new roomie? I bet he's not as handsome."

"As what? The flesh-eating disease?"

Davis kept talking, as though he didn't notice the fact that I was trying to ignore him. "I was going to say he probably wasn't as charming and handsome as me, but then again, most people aren't."

Ugh. "He seems to be more modest, though."

Davis laughed and slapped me on the shoulder blade. "Poor you, you're stuck with a loser."

"What are you stuck with, then?" I asked before I could help myself. Engaging in this juvenile conversation was probably not a good idea. And my shoulder hurt from his forceful interaction. Seriously, why would anyone touch anyone else without consent? Then again, it was my shoulder, not my dick, so... wait, what are the rules for shoulders?

"A jock," he said matter of fact.

I twisted my neck to look at him. "So basically your twin."

There it was, that stupid smirk. "I mean, I work out, but I hardly am one. Do you always use stereotypes to put people in neat little boxes?"

"Just the ones that annoy me," I said and then ordered a double latte with double cream, which I then bathed in caramel and cinnamon.

"Jesus, leave something for the rest of campus."

I ignored him.

"Hey, Jackie," he called when I started to leave.

I stopped. "Jamie!"

"Right." Davis grinned. "You got plans today?"

"No," I said and left before he asked me another stupid question. Back in my dorm, I relaxed a little, hoping he got the memo. I didn't want a friend like him. I really didn't. I would rather go around with a full face of acne than do that again.

Junior year, Patrick Mackie, a transfer student who was so ridiculously stunning and nice, became my friend. We quickly became inseparable, but when I confessed I was gay, he couldn't get away from me faster. Like I was a transmittable disease.

Prick.

That guy Davis was probably uber-straight as well and homophobic, to boot. I didn't start college to hide who I was, but to meet my kind of people. The ones with rainbow patches and self-deprecating humor.

A knock on the door interrupted my train of thought.

Suspicious, I opened it.

"So this is your space, huh?" Davis pushed in and looked around, like coming into my space was the most natural thing in the world. "Dunno, I feel like it's roomier than mine. Maybe I should appeal for a switch."

I stared at him, wondering what kind of strategy would be best to get him the fuck out of my life. I crossed my arms over my chest, putting up shields left and right. "Maybe you should appeal for a personality transplant while you're at it."

He smirked. "See, I knew you'd understand."

What?

He plopped himself on the sofa and took a sip of his drink. It was in a big see-through cup and he was pulling green liquid from it through a straw.

"Why is it green?" I asked.

He looked at his cup and then back at me. "Look who's suddenly interested. There is hope for you yet." He shrugged. "It's a spinach and egg smoothie."

"Gross."

He laughed, his entire body coming alive. His chest heaved, his mouth gaped open, showing all of these white straight teeth, and his eyes twinkled. "I see you're very concerned with your health."

"And you really don't care about yours."

Sitting on my sofa, Davis was smiling like he had a birthday or something. Maybe I was doing something wrong because he didn't show any signs of leaving.

"Uh," I said. "Do you need a map? Are you lost? This isn't your room."

"I know, I'm bummed about it, too."

I rolled my eyes and decide to go into the small kitchen and make myself some breakfast. "Can you leave? I don't think you're getting my subtle hints."

"Nah, I got them. I just don't feel like moving."

He watched me get the ingredients from the fridge and mix them in the bowl with interest. Then he said, "You making me breakfast, roomie?"

My only answer was a sigh. Maybe ignoring him would work better.

"You need to make more than that," he said.

"No, I don't, because I am not making you breakfast."

"So last night meant nothing, huh?" he quipped, almost making me drop the pan. Sweet Baby Gay Jesus. I knew he was joking and trying to shake me. There was no way he even suspected I was queer. Nope. He was just trying to annoy me. And it was fucking working.

"Look, what do you want?" I asked, facing him off. "We're not friends or anything, so you really should go back to your room and leave me alone."

"You're not very friendly. Do you know that?"

Disgruntled, I pressed my lips together and mixed the eggs forcefully.

"I mean, that's okay. You have no way of knowing I'm the coolest person you'll ever meet, so I forgive you." Finally, he stood up and walked to the door. "And I wouldn't worry about breakfast. I got all I needed."

And he winked. The bastard.

Alone in the room, I sighed, looking at my sad eggs.

What did I do to make that guy hound me like that? Was he doing it on a dare? Was he bored? Did he really want to be friends, or was he messing with me?

Only time would tell...

Author's Note:

Author's Note:

Thanks to anyone who reads, votes, and comments throughout the story - I love to read your reactions and talk to you! :)

Now... what do you think about Davis?