Chapter 4: "One Time I Found a Pube"

It turned out that Connor and I had another lecture together, so we decided to have lunch first. The cafeteria was massive, bursting at the seams with eager students of all kinds of nationalities and personality types. There were some empty tables left, so we hurried to get some food and plopped into one of them. It was next to a window, so we had a good view of the campus. Connor wasn't a talker, so we ate in companionable silence.

It was nice and quiet, until someone ruined it.

"Hey, roomie," Davis said, sitting next to me. He had his perennial smile on and a plate of food, piled up as tall as Mount Vesuvius.

"Oh my god," I muttered under my breath. "You again."

"That's your roommate?" Connor asked.

Davis shook his hand. "Davis. And yes, he's stuck with me."

Was I hallucinating? I looked at Connor, who seemed to be staring at Davis like he was an alien species. They were rather different - Connor was tall, lanky and mysterious, while Davis was wide and buff, smiling more than anything, and comfortable wherever he was.

"We're not roommates," I said.

"But we almost were, which is the same thing."

"On what planet?"

"Have you had your coffee? You're kinda cranky again."

"I'm not cranky," I muttered.

Connor was watching us like we were an entertaining tennis match. He ate slowly, but didn't hide his interest. I felt weird, like I was a bug being studied under a microscope, so I started piling up food in my mouth, so I wouldn't be able to talk.

Davis ate too, wolfed down his lunch, and then leaned back with a happy sigh. "This place ain't half bad. My previous school's cafeteria had ladies who never wore hairnets, so you'd always find hairs in your food."

I choked on my salad.

Connor frowned. "That's... unfortunate."

"Tell me about it. One time I swear I found a pube."

I laughed. I couldn't help it. "Are you sure it came from the food ladies?"

He shrugged. "What else could have happened?"

"You might have forgotten to wash your hands right after you jerked off," I said without thinking.

Davis snorted. "I don't really do that on school grounds."

I felt like my face was on fire, so I focused on my food, saying nothing.

After a second, Connor jumped in, "Well, I really hope they have fish nets here and that they remember to wash their hands, always."

"From your mouth to God's lips, man."

"It's ears," I corrected.

Davis smirked. "If you say so, Jonesy."

"Jamie," I muttered.

Why did I have a feeling that if I had pigtails, Davis would have pulled on them until I yelled at him and pushed him off a swing or something? Maybe whatever I was doing wouldn't help me get rid of Davis. What else was there? Being friends with him? Shit... could I be friends with a gorgeous straight guy?

No, no way. Nope, never.

He cocked his head. "You okay there, roomie? You seem to be thinking rather loudly."

"It's not loud when you can't hear it, roomie."

He pressed his hand over his heart. "Finally, some recognition. I'm vindicated."