Chapter 27: "A Slip You Say?"

Having a boyfriend you love and who loves you back feels kind of unsettling. Like you're walking on a wire, afraid you're going to sneeze and fall.

"Bless you guys," Jem said. "I really needed your special brand of shameless PDA this morning. Now I don't even have to eat my breakfast."

Emma snorted.

I realized that while Davis and I had been kissing – not intentionally because who kisses at the cafeteria on purpose – Emma and Jem had turned up, and all was right with the world again.

"We can move on from the drama and onto better things."

"Yes, we can now look at other people's happiness," I mocked her. "So you're up, Jem. I'm gonna fix you up with someone."

She glared at me. "Don't you dare."

"All I heard was 'Jamie, this is a great idea'," I said in a girly voice.

Davis snorted. "Don't I have the sexiest and most brilliant boyfriend in the whole world." He wanted to tease me, but the whole effect was lost when he said it with the biggest smile on his face.

"Oh yuck," Emma said. "You guys are even more nauseating now. If I'd known this would happen, I would've kept my mouth shut."

"What?" Davis asked.

"Nothing, baby," I told him. "Emma was worried about us and she came to talk to me, or well, at me, yesterday."

Davis frowned at her.

"Hey, it was all good intentions. I hated seeing you so sad."

"I hated it too," I concluded and kissed him on the cheek. "Don't be mad at her, she might be smarter than the both of us."

"All right," he said.

I wasn't certain, but it felt like we hadn't stopped touching for one second since our reunion. We were either holding hands or kissing or well, fucking, and wherever we went, we went together.

Jem was right. It was kind of nauseating. But I was happy, so I didn't care. I also wanted to make up for lost time.

My phone buzzed again.

"Ugh," I grunted.

"Do you need to take that, Jedi?"

"Shut up, Daenerys," I said, poking him. "Some unknown caller has been trolling me for a week."

"Why don't you just pick up?" Jem asked.

I shrugged. "Because I don't reward stupid behavior."

Davis nipped my ear lobe. God, really, we shouldn't be doing this in a place where people ate, and still, I couldn't stop it.

I didn't want to, damn it.

"The only person who'd be so annoyingly insistent is my brother and I just talked to him yesterday. Unless I have some long-lost twin or I've broken the law and police are now after me, I think I'll be fine."

"The police would find where you live, dummy," Emma said.

While we argued about whether I should pick up or not, the call went to voicemail, again. The voicemails were always silent.

It was kind of creepy, if I had to be honest.

"Hey," Davis said. "I don't like the idea I'm not your only stalker anymore." He put a carrot in my mouth affectionately.

"Okay, I'm out," Jem said, leaving us behind.

Emma followed.

***