Chapter 28: "My Boyfriend Is Off Limits"

Author's Note: So here we are, at the end of this story, and I am so damn grateful for YOU, yes you, the one reading it right now. Thank you for joining me on this fun, crazy journey! I'll add some more notes at the end, but until then, enjoy this last chapter of Davis and Jamie.

I felt sick. The last thing I wanted was to talk about Charles, and to my new boyfriend of all people. Davis was so perfect and I loved him so much and Charles was a fucking snake who liked to ruin my life. Jack never knew this side of his friend, but that's because I never said anything.

"So is Charles an ex then?" Davis asked.

I felt bile fill my throat. God, how much I hated that bastard. But how to explain? "Umm, not exactly."

Davis leaned against the white crib. "You can tell me."

Okay great, now my boyfriend was looking at me funny and the freaking anti-christ was downstairs and I just wanted to go back to campus and hide under my blankets.

Was that cowardly? Yes, yes it was.

"Okay look, I'll start from the beginning because this won't make sense otherwise," I said. "Charles was basically my brother's best friend, maybe still is, I don't know. Growing up, I kind of... had a crush on him."

Davis nodded. He wasn't surprised.

"He was so cool and I was so... not." I laughed bitterly. "And he was attentive, too, at least he appeared to be when we were alone." I swallowed my nerves. God, would Davis think I was a loser and dump me?

"Okay," he said. "What happened?"

"We... I mean we kissed a few times, no big deal, I even, well, blew him once," I said, flinching. Davis looked no better. It was in the past but I knew he didn't like imagining me with other guys. "I thought he was really amazing and even though it was a secret, I thought we were, you know, together or something. I was so stupid, I believed it."

I shook my head. "Jesus, it was ages ago."

Davis smiled. "We can be stupid when it comes to love."

"I didn't love him," I insisted. "I just crushed on him really hard."

Davis got up and took my hands. "Okay, just tell me what happened, I don't care you blew this guy as long as you'll never do it again."

"God, never, I hate him."

Davis' eyes darkened. "What did he do exactly?"

This is why I didn't want to tell him. If I told him the truth, he would probably punch Charles, but if I didn't, I ran the risk of Charles getting drunk and getting... chatty.

"Well, he acted like I was so sexy and lovable... and he said he could get in trouble if people caught us, but he couldn't help himself. I don't know, he acted like he was so into me, while the whole time – "

Shit. Why was I shaking? Stupid, stupid.

"Baby," he whispered, kissing my temple. "I'm right here."

I nodded.

"How much worse than mine can it be?" he teased.

I snorted.

He rubbed circles on my back and waited for me, not rushing me.

Finally, I spoke the words I never told anyone, "When his friends caught us this one time, he told everyone I was a stupid kid in love with him. He said I was chasing him everywhere, he called me his obsessed little fan. He not only humiliated me in front of everyone, but he outed me. Up until that day nobody knew I was gay. And now the whole school knew."