Products

Let's talk products. Before we can do anything we must lay the foundation for products that work on our hair. The general nature of coily hair is for it to wind into a corkscrew like shape and pack down with the rest of its family of coils. This allows our hair to develop build up much more easily. Because of this a shampoo or cleanser is necessary. Now if you decide to use silicone based conditioners, you must use sulfate shampoos, but if you follow the silicone and paraben free conditioner washing you will be just fine using sulfate-free shampoos.( Will discuss this more in the next chapter.)
Now for the remainder of this book we will focus on using nothing but silicone free conditioners, therefore eliminating the need of sulfates.
Step 1: Find a cleansing shampoo that has no sulfates to cleanse your hair every two weeks.
I would suggest Creme of Natures Argan Oil Shampoo, or Loreals various sulfate free shampoos.
Step 2: Conditioner , Conditioner, Conditioner.
Find an inexpensive conditioner that is versatile. This means you can use it as a deep conditioner, co-wash, and leave in. A co-wash is using conditioner as your cleanser and conditioner instead of shampooing then conditioning. I do this the most, but I do shampoo when I feel necessary. (Of course with my sulfate free shampoo!)
(Suggestions: Tresseme Naturals Conditioner, VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream, Yes To Carrots Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
Step 3: Leave In
You can purchase an actual leave in conditioner, but I prefer to just use my Tresseme Naturals as a moisturizer in my hair.
Step 4: Oils
As I said before our hair is prone to buildup because of its coily natural, so light oils our the best oils for your hair.
These include coconut oil, grape seed oil, and apricot oil.
*Apricot oil is a little thick, so it's best to use it while the hair is damp.
Step 5: Stylers
Stylers our optional, but for better hold this is an excellent option. I use Tresseme and flax seed gel occasionally to give my hair better hold.
Certain products may not work for you, but don't give up. It took me a long time to find things that worked, but the best thing to do for my hair was to get rid of silicones.
Now that you have your products, throw out all the gook conditioners with silicones( or store them under your sink 😊) and stay tuned to learn how to use your new products in the next section.