Chapter Twenty-Four

A/N It's been a hot minute, but I've busy sleeping in the sun and enjoying an all-inclusive holiday in Egypt while trying my best to pass as straight as to not get hatecrimed. Enjoy!

One hour swallows the next at a rapid pace, the decreasing sunlight serving as the only reminder that time is a real concept in the real world that exists right outside of their perfect little bubble consisting of talking, singing, playing, and laughing. All over and over again in a pattern that should become repetitive, yet it doesn't because this is Harry.

They've spent a million days like this, just the two of them lazing about and keeping each other company, and the thought of a million more does nothing but light an electric fire throughout Louis' body.

Just within the hours of this one date, it feels like they've gotten in months' worth of getting to know each other - Harry's exact words we're, "The more I talk to you, the more I feel like I've known you forever".

The sunlight has been completely swallowed by the night sky by the time they pack up the blanket and the pillow, carrying it pretty awkwardly because Harry said he needed to hold Louis' hand so he wouldn't lose balance in the darkness on the way back to the car. And he isn't about to turn that down - actually Louis is a bit bitter that he wasn't the one to come up with that excuse - excuses have always been his thing after all.

For the entire drive home, they meet no more than two cars - probably because it's almost midnight, and in the dark it seems less scary for Louis to let his hand rest on Harry's thigh as the conversation never falters between them.

When Harry's hand drops softly on top of his, Louis thanks the gods for automatic transmission so he doesn't have to move his hand for every intersection they pass. Though, Louis would honestly rather blow past some red lights than let go either way.

Of course, the drive ends far too soon, and Louis feels a pinch of disappointment in his chest when Harry immediately shakes off his hand and leaves the car. The boy is bouncing around on the front porch while Louis has barely gotten his seatbelt off, and he feels a bit as if Harry is running away from their date. From him.

A full minute later, Harry is still pacing in front of the door though, gesturing for Louis to hurry up, and Louis can't leave him waiting out here as the night gets colder, so he gets out too, deciding that he'll empty the car in the morning and he walks the few steps to a rather impatient Harry.

Louis has barely stepped onto the porch before Harry is right in front of him, a big and innocent smile playing over his face - if Louis didn't know him so well, he'd might actually believe it to be genuine, but he's pretty sure Harry has an agenda, which is confirmed merely seconds later, yet it still leaves Louis mouth agape and head empty because that is most definitely not expected.

"I figured this would be the perfect time for a goodnight kiss," Harry hums, as he grabs an utterly dumbfounded Louis' hand in his, drawing him close enough to hear the stutter on the older boy's breath.

Louis wants to hit himself over the head as a response tumbles over his lips before he manages to regain control of his thoughts, "But I'm going inside too", he says, as if Harry didn't just ask to kiss him - and like that isn't a possibility if Louis is staying over.

Harry seemingly agrees with the stupidity of those words, though luckily it doesn't deter him, and he continues, letting the hand that isn't holding Louis' sneak its way up to cup his chin and pull their faces even closer, the air between them thick with palpable tension.

They're close enough for Louis to feel the push of air from Harry's next words stroke his lips lightly as in anticipation of what's to come. "Well, maybe I don't really care, and it was just an excuse to kiss you." When Louis' only reply is a continuously gaping face of chock at this familiar confident Harry in front of him that he hasn't seen for a long while, Harry smirkingly adds, "If that's okay with you, that is?"