Chapter Twenty-Eight

In the morning, Harry packs the few things he brought home and then he packs the things Louis forgot to put into his own bag - which is about half of what he brought. With a quick breakfast and each their cups of tea, they're ready to go, and both Anne and Robin are waving from the front door as Louis carefully backs out of the driveway.

Before they left, Anne reminded Harry of his check-up on Monday, telling him to make sure to be there and then repeated the admonition to Louis as well, the two of them promising to make it and update Anne afterwards. Then she kissed both their cheeks twice and told them to get home safe which Robin repeated with as much sincerity yet slightly less originality.

Since Louis is driving - they're hoping that Harry will be approved for it at Monday's appointment, but so far, he still isn't allowed - Harry is in control of music, and Louis' heart flutters when the first song out of the car speakers is Home.

A third of the drive in, Harry is once again humming along to Home, looking over at Louis when it finishes. "I really like that one", he says, ignoring the next song that starts playing to focus on Louis driving instead.

"I'd hope so, considering this is the fifth or sixth time we're listening to it in less than an hour," Louis laughs, and Harry rolls his eyes. "Fiiiine, I'll play something else," Harry whines, but it's only to tease Louis, and in an instant, he is changing the song to 'No control', loudly singing along to the dirty lyrics.

"I see you know this one too", Louis comments dryly, but Harry just laughs. "I've been studying".

He's quiet for a moment, and when he speaks again his tone is much more serious, "It's weird listening to songs I can't remember singing, but it's a bit fun too. We sound good together."

Louis can only agree with that and soon both of them are screaming along to 'No control'.

***

The three-hour drive feels like ten minutes, and then Louis is pulling up to their flat, the front door instantly flying open with an excited Niall running towards them before the car is entirely parked. Louis has only just pulled the parking brake when their friend is opening the passenger door and throwing his arms around Harry's shoulders.

"Hii, Harry", Louis hears him whisper, and the smile that spreads on Harry's face makes Louis' legs feel a little wobbly. He's just happy to know that Harry isn't worrying about not being missed by the boys anymore.

When Louis is about to open his own car door, he finds it blocked by Zayn and Liam, and he jumps in surprise, the boys instantly stepping back with wide grins, letting Louis out of car and instantly swallowing him in a hug. "Bastards", Louis mumbles, then presses a bit further into the embrace.

"Good to have you back", Liam smiles and as the disgusting coupley-thing they are, Zayn finishes the sentence and adds, "And good to see you brought your boy back too".

Louis doesn't have anything to say to that, simply enjoys the hug - which has nothing to do with the sudden lump in his throat - no, no. He just likes the attention.

When Louis lets go of them, Liam makes his way around the car to Niall and Harry, scooping the latter up in a bear hug while Zayn stays by Louis' side a second longer.

"Lo and behold, you aren't even smelling like a chimney", he comments, and Louis scrunches his brows, trying to remember the last time he had a smoke.

"No, I guess I haven't really been stressed enough to chain-smoke. Haven't even smoked since I left, I recon." He admits, a bit surprised with himself too. He'd completely forgotten. Zayn just smiles knowingly, claps Louis on the shoulder and goes to give Harry a hug as well, Louis soon finding himself with jumping Niall into his arms.