7. Lessons to remember and guilt to swallow

Chapter 7

Lessons to remember and guilt to swallow

"Cruelty to others is easily judged meanwhile the cruelty to ourselves is often overlooked by the importance we see in others."

Sitting on the chalky white bench after aimlessly walking for a while, Kieran's stomach rumbled like a painful punch in the guts. Few meters ahead of him, he spotted the outside vendor with desserts. Darya had just picked for herself a sweet, mouth-filling desert with the dark syrup dripping from the sides and a decorative ivory topping covered in pink powder. Checking his torso, he couldn't feel the gem coins bag anywhere. Right, he was robbed.

He gave that sugar ball desert another glance. He sure was going to get in trouble.

He walked over to her. "Let me hold that for you while you pay."

Darya handed him the desert and he slowly backed away while she searched for her gemstones.

The moment she was done, her eyes searched for him.

Licking the cream off the top, Kieran smiled at her.

Her eyes carried an innocent sad glint and then they turned pitch black as a bottomless hole. Shaking his head smugly, Kieran glanced at the people surrounding them. Any further and her secret was out. She blinked the black eyes back to normal, but her glare intense as ever.

"Come here right now." Her tone carried a death threat.

"No." He ran.

Gritting her teeth, Darya ran after him. He was going to die a slow painful death and she'd use all of his daggers to make it interesting. He speed-walked few meters ahead of her, but she was right there behind him and she was going to hurt him.

Kieran exhaled with cold sweat running down his spine. The woman had one intense blood thirst. Making a turn in an ally, he was cut off by a few kids tossing around a blue rubber ball. He staggered in place for a second and then leaned on a magnolia tree.

He ate the stolen dessert in a few bites. He licked his fingers with a satisfying pop.

"Isolation like this will get you killed." Darya appeared in the ally and approached him.

"What isolation? There are kids everywhere." Kieran licked his finger.

She looked at the unaffected children.

"I want my dessert back." She said.

"Just buy another one."

She gritted her teeth. She was mad at him as it was and now he thought he could steal her dessert. If they were friends she would have forgiven him, but he had already decided she was disposable.

"Come here, or I will destroy you and the innocent children together."

He crossed his hands. Sure she was. "You have no sense of humor."

She clenched her fist. "I told you not to make fun of me or provoke me."

"What is it with you, when you lose control over a situation?" He took a step further. "Do you get scared? Annoyed?"

She could hear her pulse, pounding in her ears. He was way too pleased with himself.

"Do you feel insecure? Do your feelings get hurt?"

The iris in her eyes spread all over her sclera and they became thick black as a storm.

"You wouldn't do anything in front of the kids." He said a bit unsure of how much what he said affected her.