16. Hope for a better ending

Chapter 16

Hope for a better ending

"People are weak and they are strong. They hold grudges and they move on. Some find the light, others remain damaged. It's how the world works."

Darya stared at him without blinking. His announcement of leaving was enough to make the air temperature drop causing absolute silence.

Agate and Amethyst stood at the corner of the room and didn't dare to break it. Darya's eyes had terrifying coldness, Kieran had never seen before.

Darya's shoulders felt tremendously heavy, weighing her down, leaving her paralyzed. That feeling of solitude has dominated her heart, clinging to every thread.

Her lips parted to say few almost whispered words. "Are you going back to Jaaku City?"

"Yes," Kieran replied. "I was thinking of telling you these past few days, but things happened. Now that I have this, I don't think neither of us has to do anything anymore. We don't owe the Royal anything and I'm sure he can handle things even without us."

"You are just going back to Jaaku city. Just like that." Her voice was raspy and heavy.

Kieran clenched the note closer to him. "Yes."

Darya turned on her heel and passed by Amethyst and Agate, leaving the house and slamming the door.

"Is she that upset I'm not helping the Royal?" Kieran murmured.

"Uhh." Amethyst placed a loose hair from his bun, behind his ear and approached Kieran. "You two leave in two different places right?"

"Yes," Kieran answered.

Amethyst glanced at Kieran hoping it will become clearer, but Kieran seemed unsure of it.

"If you leave now it means she'll have to say goodbye and aren't you two...friends?"

Kieran stayed in a daze for a second and then snapped out of it, clearing his throat. "I'm going to get ready to leave."

Agate looked at Amethyst with a scolding look, but he shrugged his shoulders apologetically.

***

The night sky was tinged with dark ominous purple and the air was damp.

Darya sat on the porch with Rin's note in her hand. She seemed to be in deep thought when Amethyst passed by carrying wood for the fire.

He climbed the stairs on the porch and dropped the wood down. Darya was still unaware of him.

"Something's wrong?" Amethyst touched her forehead and she leaned surprised. "You don't seem sick."

"I'm fine." She said.

"You don't seem fine. Why aren't you happy? You worked on finding the solution together with Rin for a long time and you finally did it. Doesn't that require a little celebratory smile?"

"Yes, we solved it." She gritted her teeth. "I was so happy to work on this and figure it out, but now what? What after we solved it and Rin left?"

"Well..." Amethyst rose. "You get to go home or go help Rin."

Darya sighed. Yes. Going back to her old life. Or going to the Chemistry District alone.

"I don't have a home." She murmured.