20. The End

Chapter 20

The end

Jade opened her eyes to the sound of birds chirping outside the window. Suddenly a tall person darkened her vision as he brooded over her.

The white-coated man smiled. "She's awake."

Jade turned her head on the soft pillow to see where she was. That's when she saw two familiar turquoise eyes smiling at her.

"Where am I and why does it feel so comfortable?" Jade spoke in a raspy voice and then cleared her throat. "Why does it smell so nice?"

"You're in my room," Rin answered and then took her chin moving her head left and right. "You're bruised all over. This face won't do anymore."

"Hey, hey..." She argued and tried to get up. Rin helped her up, laughing. "I'm just teasing you. Relax."

"Call me if you have need of me." The doctor bowed and left the room. Jade peeked around the room getting a sense of where she was. She saw Patchy standing near her bed.

"Glad you're feeling better." He said.

"Thank you." She smiled and turned toward Rin with a frown. "Head of State..."

"She is imprisoned." Rin said, glancing down for a moment, then back at her face.

Jade looked away. "I wanted her dead."

"I know. But I couldn't sacrifice you as well." Rin answered and took her hand. "She is in maximum security prison. I have to question her to know every single detail she did, so I can fix it. I won't know anything about the Elite, my father and the past if she is dead."

Jade tightened her grip on his hand.

"I know why I would want her dead, but what about you?" Patchy asked breaking the tension between the two. "Why you barged in the room, why you said you know my father?"

Jade looked down at her palms. It was over now. She could tell them her secret. "After my parents died by the hands of deviants, and the riot had begun I was taken in by the Elite. The head of State." She paused. "They told me I was a chosen one and will be trained to be an Elite and then marry into the Royal family to influence a Royal member. That part is true."She glanced at Rin unsure of his reaction.

He listened intently.

"But when I turned 11, they suddenly changed their minds and they left me in the middle of the forest in Cerasus. Then while Deviants were after me, I was saved by Kai." She turned towards Patchy. "He was on his way to Cerasus to hide after Zale had died and the head of state tried to kill him, taking over everything. He was powerless in his own home. The Elite power was just that great he couldn't do anything about it. Ava's influence was everywhere. Luckily for me, Kai took care of me. I told him about the Elite's plan for me and Kai demanded to know everything. When we shared all details, that's when I realized they didn't need me anymore to influence a royal because Ava took the throne." Jade held her breath to look at Rin and Patchy. They waited on her to continue.

"When Zale had found a cure for the phenomenon on the west island it interfered with Ava's plans. So she killed Zale and came up with another plan disregarding all previous pawns. Kai told me that Rin was too young to ascend the throne so it was up to Kai or Ava to take the throne. Of course, Ava who had planned everything upfront tried to kill Kai. He was caught and almost killed, but instead Ava offered him a deal to disappear, but leave his children behind. She told him, that they will be safe because they don't know anything." Jade made a pause and rubbed her palms nervously.