18. The meaning of sorrow

Chapter 18

The meaning of sorrow

"When we spend our lives looking at the gap between ideals and reality, we forget the act that closes that gap"

"What?" Rin and Patchy snapped their heads towards her.

Suddenly Jade turned her head toward Ava and she ran towards her. "No!"

But Ava had already pressed the button for more guards. The loud thumping was heard as hundreds of guards were approaching the room. Jade took a swing at her, but in one swift motion, Ava avoided it and pressed her to the table making her drop her sword.

The guards burst into the room and surrounded them all. Jade's attempt to free herself from Ava and pick up the sword failed.

"Take them all and tie them up. They just committed treason."

The guards grabbed and captured each of them.

Ava approached Rin and she leaned toward him. "You missed your chance for the easy way. Now I have to take care of the mess you made and reinstate the true reality Rin. Even If I have to force you to accept it."

Rin kept on glaring. "And how would you exactly change my mind?"

She leaned in to whisper. "Execution. And you'll just watch."

Cold sweat ran down his neck. He struggled to break free from the guard's grip, but it was futile. And then the jewels on her fingers sparkled in the sun's reflection in the room. Rin's head began hurting like someone was pressing on it. Nausea overwhelmed him as he would vomit. The pain throbbed violently around his skull. He shut his eyes and then he saw it in his mind.

The lost memory of the day his father was murdered.

It was never someone he didn't know, or multiple people attacking them at once. It was only one person. His mother. That's why there were no guards. There had been no time to react. His mother had calmly walked inside the room and then ran a sword deep into the heart of his father. Blood had spattered all over her jewels.

His heart clenched deep in his chest. His whole body felt like it had been beaten and every movement caused some muscle or bone to ache.

That's why he always repressed the memory. His own mother had done it. The wave of pain was released and a dam of sadness swapped everything else.

The bodyguards dragged Jade and Patchy towards the door.

"Wait!" Rin yelled.

Sirens noise slowly increasing, filled the air. Everyone's attention was suddenly to locate where it was coming from.

"What is that racket?" The Head of State calmly asked the guard next to her.

She rushed towards the windows. Few trucks had made their way through the gates and had parked in front of the villa.

Rin struggled to see, but luckily the guards approached the windows to see the cause of the sirens.

The doors opened on one of the trucks and Darya jumped out, followed by Amethyst and Agate.

The rest of the Royal Guards outside quickly pulled out their weapons. From the back of the trucks, the doors opened and guards from the Chemistry district marched out to face the other guards. A door from one of the trucks driver's seat opened and Laidy climbed down. She carried a big megaphone.