Chapter 23

Holden's pov.

"My own," I spoke the words firmly, still gesturing for them to leave.

I could see the hurt fly over Claire's face, my heart aching. Amira walked through the door and before Claire could follow, I shut it. Even with soundproofing, I could still faintly hear Amira through the door. Claire didn't move at all. She stayed in front of the door, never looking at me.

"Can we talk alone?" I asked softly, pleading with her.

"What is there to talk about?" She snapped and I saw her brush her cheek with her hand, figuring it had to be a tear.

"There's a lot to talk about. How are you doing over at Amira's?" I could see I struck a nerve, because her facial expression turned to anger.

"That's what you want to talk about? How I'm doing at your sister's? Not the fact that you gave me up, like I was nothing. No, your first question is how I'm doing with your sister. What does it matter to you anyways? I know everyone thinks you getting hurt is my fault, but it's not! I didn't ask for any of this. To be bought, to be a pet, to be fed off of, but most of all to be hurt. I didn't ask for any of it." She was walking closer to me as she talked and I could see the tears sliding down her face, she didn't bother to hide them.

I didn't know what else I could say. Nothing could make any of this better and there was no changing it either.

"I sent your Zivel to Amira's this morning. It should be there, by the time you get back." I mumbled, opening the door again.

She scoffed, "Not even going to comment on anything I've said. I'm glad I'm Amira's pet now."

She started to walk off, but I grabbed her wrist. Why? I had no idea. I didn't want her to leave, but I knew there was no other choice. My father wouldn't let her live, if she stayed with me.

She looked at me, her eyes burning into mine, "Just let me go. There's nothing to talk about anymore. There's nothing that can be said to change anything that's been done."

"I didn't want any of this either." I finally whispered, pulling her close and putting my lips to her ear. "I wish I could keep you, but that's no longer possible. You meant more to me than you realize."

When I pulled away, her lips were centimeters away from my own. One slight move and I could claim hers with mine. I was seconds away from doing so, until my bedroom door opened and in walked Vera.

"Great." I thought and pulled away from Claire quickly.

"I would ask if I interrupted something, but that would be impossible." Vera sneered, looking between us.

"Claire was just leaving." I explained, with no emotion in my tone.

"Yeah," Claire collaborated, "I was just saying my goodbyes."

"Oh, great! Try to make sure you have all of your belongings as well. Once you leave, I'm making a clear no pets rule." Vera smirked, sitting herself on the sofa.

"Oh, you know what? I think I forgot something of mine in the bathroom. It may take me a minute to get it." Claire gave her a cheeky grin and walked slowly to the bathroom, Vera scowling the entire time.

I was on the verge of busting out in laughter, but managed to hold it in.

"What?" Vera snapped, catching my struggle.

"Nothing," I deadpanned and shrugged my shoulders.

I sat down at my desk and started shifting through papers. I could see Vera was growing impatient waiting on Claire to leave. I hid my face behind a sheet of paper, chuckling silently to myself.

Claire eventually emerged from the bathroom, "I got it!" She held up a hair pin.

"It took you that long to find that?!" Vera was shaking with anger.

"It was hidden really good." Claire smiled sweetly.

"Whatever, just leave now. You've kept his sister waiting long enough." Vera waved her off.

"Oh, one more thing." Claire spoke up, before exiting.

"What could you possibly have to say now? You've had this entire time to say something. I'd like to discuss my bonding ceremony, with Holden, in private." Vera snapped and I feared she would eventually force Claire out.

I could see Claire roll her eyes, "All I was going to say is your sister is throwing a ball and you're invited, Sire."

"Nice, tell her we'll be there. Now leave." Vera tried to answer, but Claire wasn't having that answer.

"Oh, I'm sorry Vera. It's invitation only and she only invited Holden. I'm sure you have important bonding things to plan anyways." Claire spoke innocently, but I could tell she was trying to get a rise out of Vera.

Vera got up off the couch and stalked over to me, draping her arms around my shoulders. "Well, if I'm not invited, Holden won't go."

I knew I was going to pay for this, once Claire did leave. "Tell Amira I'll be there."

I could feel Vera's rage and Claire smiled victoriously. "Alright, that's all I had left. I'll leave you two to it." She left and I now feared for my own life.

I continued to look at the papers, like that didn't just happen. Vera moved to the front of my desk, trying to grab my attention.

She finally snatched the papers out of my hand, "You're not serious about going without me? We're betrothed! Wherever you go, I go!"

I gently slid the paper out of her grasp, "We're not bonded, yet. I can still go places without you, Vera. You don't have to be with me, when I go and visit my sister."

"But she will be there!" She seethed and the truth came out.

"Vera," I feigned shock, "you can't possibly be jealous? Over a pet no less!"

"I'm not jealous over that bítch, she's nothing!" Vera boomed and I held in my own anger.

"I'm going, Vera. There's nothing you can do about it. You will stay here and plan the bonding ceremony." I commanded, trying to keep a decent tone with her.

Without another word, Vera stormed out of the room. As soon as she left, I took a deep breath. The room felt lighter without her in it, but empty without Claire. I even missed the little rat Zivel she came with.

I tried to focus on my work, but I couldn't keep my mind on it. The ball was the only thing I could think about. I was going to be able to see Claire, without anyone interrupting. The look of hurt on Claire's face was almost unbearable.

"Could their plan work? Could we find the Queen and Princess?"

I wanted to shake those thoughts off as impossible, but I couldn't make myself.

I commed Cedrick to come to my room. The door opened and shut with his presence, "Yes, Sire?"

"I need you to prepare a hover to the other side of the city." I ordered.

"Sire, that's a rather dangerous area. Only lower class Leviathans go there." He tried to get me to reconsider.

"I know, but an old friend lives there and she might be willing to help me with something." I explained vaguely, "Now please, go get the hover ready."

"Yes, Sire." He responded reluctantly and left.

I couldn't tell him the full truth of why I was going. If he knew I was going to see someone about an invisibility chip, I would be in grave trouble and my old friend possibly executed. All I can do is hope she could still make them. Since they've been heavily outlawed, it might take a lot of convincing. Anything was worth not being bonded to Vera, but we needed to be successful in finding the Queen and Princess. Vera wouldn't be my only problem, if we come back unsuccessful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦