Mere Coincidences

Adam sits in his car for a full three minutes in the parking lot of Nyx. Couples stream in through the foyer, glittering dresses sweeping the floor and ties tied with care. Adam isn't wearing a tie, because he doesn't wear ties, but he did opt for a jacket. Nyx is supposed to be a classy place—shining chandeliers and dark lighting that carefully distract from the price of the food.

The cars in the parking lot are mocking Adam's. They laugh from their convertible roofs and whisper to the other cars that his doesn't belong. In the south end, the Mazda is a decent car. In the east end, the Mazda is dirt on the tires of the luxury cars.

Adam locks his car as he shuts the door, but he knows that's useless, because Nyx is one of the most secure places in the city. Everyone who goes in is marked down, and everyone that goes out is marked down.

There's a black sign on the front wall of the restaurant, and it reads, 'We reserve the right to refuse entry to any persons of our choosing.' Adam wouldn't be surprised if there were a sign that said, If you're a cop, and your name is Adam, you're not allowed in.

She would know he's here. Adam discovered months ago that Nyx has security cameras at every entrance with facial recognition, and Eris has a copy of the officer list, matching each picture to each person that comes through. That's why all the officers on the buyer team are transfers from the city over.

She'll know he's here, but Adam doubts she'll care. Eris leaks nonchalance, and her biggest and most untouchable trait is how little she pretends to care about who pokes around where. When Adam got a warrant to search the kitchen of Nyx, Eris opened the door and said he was welcome to come look anytime he wanted. She let him into the restaurant, the kitchen, the pit—everything. The penthouse, though, she wasn't so open with. If Adam could get a warrant for that, he's sure he'll find something.

Adam waits in line patiently at the front door. The bouncers walk up and down the line, checking for IDs. When a tall man nods expectantly at Adam, he gives him a look.

"You can't tell if I'm twenty-one?" Adam inquires, looking over the tall man.

"Everyone gets checked. It's the law."

Adam can't help but grin. It is the law, and of course Eris wouldn't be so stupid to get caught for something so little. As the tall man looks over Adam's license, he touches his earpiece. He walks away, muttering something to whoever is listening on the other line.

The bouncers are nonchalant, but they're all speaking to one another and those inside through the earpieces. Adam can only imagine what they're saying—Hey, boss, your cop is here.

Adam glances over his shoulder for Sarah. She promised she'd be on time, but he knows she won't be. She never is. That's good for him, though. It means he can order a drink and get it down before she arrives.

After a few minutes, Adam is let into the building to see the hostess. He tells her that he called this morning with a reservation, and she leads him into the restaurant.

Nyx may be some twisted version of classy, but the average age is still vastly below Adam's. The restaurant has new pop music playing, dark, glittery décor and an aura that's similar to a club.

Adam is surprised as the hostess leads him to a booth table near the bar. He glances at her, then says, "Is it possible to get more of a dinner seating?"

The hostess glances up at him, places two menus on the table and smiles. "Sorry, sir. This is all we have tonight."

Adam can see tables over by the windows, but he doesn't push it. He has no doubt the tables near the bar are for the patrons they want to keep an eye on.