The Faint Line Between Luck and Good Planning

Adam rings the doorbell to Sarah's house. A news van creeps down the street. They think they're being sneaky, but Adam knows they've been following him for six blocks.

Sarah opens the door, stepping aside to let Adam in. The sunlight pours onto the beautiful hardwood that Adam paid for.

Sarah watches him take his shoes off. He always takes his shoes off when he enters a house, but Sarah never grew up that way. No one ever took their shoes off in a house.

"Sorry about the buy," Sarah says.

Adam glances at her. He hasn't told her about it, but he didn't need to. Stanley, who came around the back of the van to see three cops made into fools, ran to the media before Adam could even understand what happened. Unfortunately, there was a cameraman right around the corner, who snapped a now-infamous picture of Adam holding a Tupperware full of candy hearts. There are close-ups of the hearts—close-ups of Adam's name printed on them. The media has been following Eris everywhere for the last few days—to her car, into Nyx—but she's only placed a hand in front of her face and walked on. In one of the videos, Adam swore he saw a little smirk.

He has no clue how she did it. No clue what gave Brit away. Everything went perfect in Adam's eyes.

"It is what it is," Adam says, stepping past Sarah.

"What does it mean for you?"

Adam turns around to face her. Sarah has no clue what happened or how it happened—she read the articles, but the words were a little too big. All she knows is that girl in all those videos has fantastic eyes and killer style.

"Complete funding cut for the Diakos case," Adam replies. "Of which I'm still the head."

"Well, I'm sorry."

Adam is walking into the kitchen to look for Daphne. "It is what it is," Adam repeats. "I did use ten thousand dollars of police money on candy hearts. Where's Daphne?"

"Oh, she's in her room."

Adam abandons Sarah by the front door and walks down the hallway. He knocks on Daphne's door, then pushes it open.

Daphne is at her desk, putting together a puzzle. Adam hasn't seen her room in a while, but there are little stars on her roof now. Sarah should've had Adam come over so Daphne could be lifted up and do them herself. But Sarah doesn't think.

"Hey, Daph," Adam says, drawing her attention.

Daphne looks up, green eyes wide. Her face splits into that typical four-year-old smile, and she rushes to hug Adam's leg. He leans down.

"You look absolutely stunning, Daph. Is your hair longer?"

Daphne plays with a little curl by her shoulder. "Mommy says it's a nice colour."

"It's a great colour. You ready to go?"

Daphne nods, running to get her shoes. She passes by Sarah, still standing in the foyer.

"I'll have her back by eight at the latest," Adam says.

Sarah nods, and there's a little shimmer in her eye as she watches Daphne open the door. At the last minute, Adam turns around.

"I can come back and get you before dinner," he says. "We can all go to the Thai place."

Sarah nods eagerly, not sure why he changed his mind. She watches them leave. The house feels big with Daphne, and now it feels even bigger. She could clean something, but everything in the house is spotless.

Sarah grabs her purse. Adam and Daphne are going to the zoo in the north end, so Sarah can enjoy a day at the mall in the east end. Adam always says she shouldn't shop in the east end—it's far too expensive—so Sarah always worries he might go by in his cruiser car, see her and scold her for it.