Chapter 7 The Smoking Otter

Leroy Otty was working his shift at the bar he owned, 'The Smoking Otter'. It was a small wooden building in the town of Hays. Leroy, ironically, resembled an otter or some other type of rodent. He was short, with rounded glasses, auburn hair, and had two front teeth that protruded out further than the rest of them, with a long handlebar mustache that connected into sideburns. Marty and Leroy were friends before even Beverly met Marty. They met through cheating each other during a game, but were too drunk to be mad about it, so they laughed and became friends.

___________

Sara was awake before anyone else, cooking breakfast. Sara was not only the only member who could cook properly, but she enjoyed doing it. It was her time away from everything and everyone. She took the fried catfish and a glass of water to James Lorance.

¨I don't wanna give you this but we can't afford to have you dead either.¨ Sara placed the glass and plate on the ground.

¨Women, untie me. I ain't goin' nowhere.¨ James said.

¨Bullshit. Eat like a dog before the real dog wakes up.¨ Sara said, while looking at Sally sleeping in the soft grass.

James sighed. ¨Take my hat off at least, I don't want it to get dirty. I know y'all don't appreciate being clean but I do.¨

Sara removed his hat, put it next to him, and walked away while turning her head to give James a nasty glare.

When Sara made it back to her small cooking area she saw a meeting had started. Marty sat on a chair, squinting but smiling, Raymon and Beverly looking at him intensely, Maggie's eyes darted between them, while petting Sally, Gage just sipped his coffee, looking bewildered.

¨Who is Leroy Otty?¨ Gage asked.

That was enough to get Sara going. ¨Oh hell no! What we need him for?¨

¨Don't get all ruffled up! Just listen. We gettin' Leroy out here to make a deal. It will be real quick, I swear.¨ Raymon quickly said. ¨We robbin' The Kansas Banker Association, givin' the money to Leroy; Who will have all the supplies we need for Texas.¨ Raymon explained.

¨I can't wait to see that bastard! I haven't seen him since he went to jail in 1870.¨ Marty slapped his knee.

¨Alright but I ain't goin' into Hays to see that insane son of bitch.¨ Sara shook her head.

¨Sara, we're gonna have to bring him here, for privacy.¨ Beverly added.

¨Oh my Lord. Of course!¨

Marty and Raymon unhitched their horses and made their way to Hays. Beverly made herself busy by trying to get James to talk more about The Bombardo's. This left Maggie, Gage, and Sara talking and washing up after breakfast.

¨So, who's this Leroy feller?¨ Gaged asked again.

¨One of Marty's old friends, he's harmless, just a pain in the ass. I only met him a hand full of times but every time he's always sayin' somethin' odd. The first time I ever met him he called me 'Brown sugar' and kissed my cheek with his tobacco smellin' moustache.¨ Sara cringed at the memory.

¨He calls me 'Beverly'.¨ Maggie said.

¨Oh my¨ Gage laughed a little.

¨Don't you start laughin' boy, he probably got somethin' to say to you too.¨ Sara smiled.

¨Watch 'em become best buddies.¨ Maggie giggled.

¨Don't scare me Maggie, the thought of him and Marty wanting Leroy in with us.¨ Sara shivered.