The Shadows Of Yesterday {15}

"Jeremy? Hello? Anyone in there?"

Seth shook my shoulder. I brushed his hand away, trying to shake off my thoughts.

I'd made it back to the room before Seth, but hadn't been able to sleep last night. All I could think of was Arlo and I lying out by the creek until it got too cold and Arlo started to shiver.

He'd never complained. I hadn't even realized he was cold until his arm trembled against mine and I realized he was covered in goosebumps.

"Hellooo?"

"Just tired, Seth," I said, shrugging into my jacket. "Let's go. I'll grab coffee at the dining hall."

"Did you submit that article?" Seth asked.

"Yea, worked on it all morning before I had classes. It'll run tomorrow, probably," I said. "It should be online by now, though."

"Ah, shit, that means I forgot to take my phone off do not disturb again," he said, yanking it out of his pocket and tapping the screen. "Oh- yea, it's up, people have been texting me about it." He got that smug smile of his, his eyes lighting up.

I watched his face as he pulled up the article and began to read it while we walked. He never looked up to check for people; he knew they'd move out of his way. He just had that kind of presence.

He grew bigger as he read. Not physically, of course. But his smug smile grew and he puffed out his chest a little, taking up more space around him. He was claiming another piece of the world. Telling the stars he was here, he existed, he was important.

The article was by Jeremy Burnett. But it was about Seth Rotain.

Seth slung his arm around my shoulders, jerking me out of my thoughts. He yanked me in close, laughing triumphantly.

"Good job, Jer!" he cheered. "That was a damn good piece. Solid writing, and of course, solid content thanks to yours truly."

"You really thought it was good?" I asked.

"Do I dish out compliments arbitrarily?" he said.

"Yes? I mean, you're kind of a suck-up," I pointed out.

He lightly smacked me upside the head. "Jackass. Yes, it was good. We're good. Damn good."

We reached the dining hall and went up together, swiping our IDs and splitting up to grab food. We met back up at the drinks, Seth holding out a cup of coffee to me and leading me towards a table Brynn and Vin had already claimed.

"I'd congratulate you, but your ego won't fit at the table," Brynn said as Seth sat next to her.

He kissed her cheek. "C'mon, babe, tell me I'm great."

"Like you need me to tell you that?" she said, rolling her eyes.

"You've been working on this whole dyslexia thing for years, right?" Vin said. "The research, I mean. I was surprised someone like Jeremy could even spell some of the words you used."

"I've known him since he started the research," I said, and Vin's eyes began to twitch at my sharp tone.

"Easy, boys," Seth said, leaning back in amusement. "This is a good day. Keep it that way. I'm in a good mood."

"I swear, you'd suck your own dick if you could," Brynn said with a sigh.

"Probably. I've been told it's a good experience," Seth said, and she flicked an olive at him.

"Did you guys all think Marilyn Manson removed ribs so he could suck his own dick?" Vin said.

"God, yes," I said. "Remember that, Seth? Everyone in school thought that."